story telling from women

Home Forums Gender story telling from women

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

JeffT

Why can’t women get straight to the point when telling a story

User Detail :  

Name : JeffT, Gender : Male, Age : 33, City : Red Lion, State : PA Country : United States, Education level : High School Diploma, 

Mara
    Participant

HA! My experience is that MEN can’t get to the point! They have to be exactly precise in every detail, even going so far as to go off on a tangent about whether a peripheral character was named ‘bob’ or ‘rob’ (or maybe it was ‘glen’…or ‘dan’…) etc. The level of detail, not to mention the insignificant minutia, that men insist on putting into their stories just grates on the nerves. Not all men do this, I’m sure. But in my experience, most guys will take twenty-minutes to tell a five minute story.

User Detail :  

Name : Mara, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 40, City : Atlanta, State : GA Country : United States, Occupation : data entry, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

ShirleyAvery
    Participant

In general, men are more results oriented and women are more process oriented. There are biological imperatives for that. In practical terms, as I told my boyfriend, women are generally not asking for advice when they tell you a problem. They just want to get it off their chest and know you care. Don’t worry about the details. Listen for the emotion – anger, fear, hurt. I hope that explanation wasn’t too long for you. Just Curious

User Detail :  

Name : ShirleyAvery, Gender : F, Disability : none, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Jewish, Age : 52, City : st. louis, State : MO Country : United States, Occupation : writer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.