justified racial overtones?

Home Forums Race/Ethnicity justified racial overtones?

• This topic has 1 voice and 0 replies.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

Jane

A co-worker who is Jamaican-American with no family history in this country before her birth said something I didn’t feel was appropriate either for me or her. I said I was going to visit my folks for a holiday in New hampshire and she said in a very sterotypical black voice, ‘North? Yousa gon north to you freedom?’ Now, I’m white but have no ties to slavery either in Jamaica or America. And she has no ties to American slavery and neither does her family. No one in her personal history was a slave or had to travel the underground railroad, she’s a first-generation Jamaican. So is it appropriate to make that comment just because I’m white and she’s black? Shouldn’t it be a non-issue especially since it has nothing to do with her whole family?

User Detail :  

Name : Jane, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : european-american, Religion : Christian, Age : 24, City : brooklyn, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : illustrator, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.