eye contact with someone in a wheelchair

Home Forums Disabilities/Challenges eye contact with someone in a wheelchair

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Do people in wheel chairs prefer to be ignored or smiled at and talked to during brief encounters at a store for example?

User Detail :  

Name : Carol A Whittum, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 55, City : Jefferson, State : NC Country : United States, Occupation : teacher, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Ann L. Lowenstein
    Participant

I don’t know… Would you prefer to be ignored or talked to? Being in a wheelchair doesn’t make them invisble, nor does it make them somehow subhuman. BadKarma!

User Detail :  

Name : Ann L. Lowenstein, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Animist, Age : 37, City : K.C., State : MO Country : United States, Occupation : Administrative Assistant, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Andrew J.
    Participant

I was in the mall the other day, as I was walking out there was this severely handicapped guy looking at me quite intently. So, I gave him the same nod I’d give anyone and continued to walk by. He stopped me with a ‘hey,’ and asked me to grab his tool that he had dropped (he used a stick in his mouth to move the chair). So I grabbed it, asked where I should put it and moved on. There is nothing about this interaction that was defined by his handicap, except the obvious.

User Detail :  

Name : Andrew J., Gender : Male, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Disability : Hearing Loss, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 26, City : Seattle, State : WA Country : United States, Occupation : IT, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.