bullying in the classroom

Home Forums General Diversity bullying in the classroom

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Elizabeth-G
    Participant

I teach 8th grade. When I hear a student say something mean to other student, but almost nobody else heard it, should I interrupt the lesson to address it immediately and embarrass the victim, or let it go for the time being and the speak to the bully and the victim privately?

User Detail :  

Name : Elizabeth-G, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Episcopalian, Age : 42, City : Holtsville, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : teacher, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

BenClerk

I believe this situation to be very delicate. You have to decide which way you feel would effect your students as a whole towards not bullying. Also you shouldn’t treat students differently. If you talk to one child after and another during that just seems to the children that each person is allowed to get away with different things and thus have a privilege over the others to do wrong. I feel no matter how you approach the situation it is best to keep it fair to the children while still supporting better behavior IN GENERAL, not just in the classroom. Life is in knowledge.

User Detail :  

Name : BenClerk, Gender : Male, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : mixed, Age : 15, City : Waldron, State : AR Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, 

CherylM

I’m an old lady so my opinion is probably outdated, but the offender should be called before the class immediately and he/she should be made to apologize without expounding on the “why” of the situation. If it’s a minor situation, he/she will do so, albeit with a red face. The point is to nip it in the bud and show the class that the behavior will not be tolerated. If the kid doesn’t obey you, he/she should be sent to the principal. Discipline is lacking in our schools today. Not your fault either. Teachers get no respect and are afraid to take charge because of the “touchy-feely” attitude that is so prevalent today, which is ruining our kids and actually “creating” bullies.

User Detail :  

Name : CherylM, City : Orange Park, State : FL Country : United States, 
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.