Why so much cologne and perfume?

Home Forums Race/Ethnicity Why so much cologne and perfume?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Mike W.
    Participant

Why is it that some people (especially blacks and “Americanized” Hispanics) wear way too much cologne or perfume? There’s a guy at work who’s fun to talk to, but I start getting dizzy and nauseous immediately because the fumes are so overpowering. If I happen to be really hungry when I run into him, I get a splitting headache. I also notice this at the theater, and even walking down the street. It seems like people should be able to impress you on their merits and not have to bludgeon you with their shopping selections…

User Detail :  

Name : Mike W., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Pagan, Age : 44, City : Denver, State : CO Country : United States, Occupation : cataloger, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

G.E. Long

I just left a meeting, where I was sitting between two white women, and I had to get up and move because of the literal stench of their perfume!! Both were wearing way too much, and neither scent was subtle. It was so bad, that when one of the women started shifting around in her seat, I had to move, because the stench became so overt I started coughing. A number of the perfumes for sale today ‘assault’ the senses -I’ve noticed this when walking through department stores. The fact that people buy these scents has nothing to do with their race – for whatever reason, they actually like the scent, and feel some need to share it with everyone around them. My friends and family members wear subtle scents, and don’t overdo – and we just happen to be Black. Obviously, we weren’t given the ‘briefing’ on what we are supposed to wear!

User Detail :  

Name : G.E. Long, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Catholic, City : Chicago, State : IL Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

KRB
    Participant

For someone who works in a the entertainment business (concerts and events, etc.) which is currently dominated by whites, the mere thought of someone thinking by cultural standards Hispanics and Africans wear too much colonge and perfume is outrageous. Tell your co-worker to cool it on the scents if it bothers you. By my experiences, it is whites who wear too much perfume. At that, everything seems to smell floral and extremely sweet. Check out the sales of who buys what and you will be surprised that the pungent odor is actually in your backyard.

User Detail :  

Name : KRB, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, City : Detroit, State : MI Country : United States, Occupation : Entertainment Guru, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.