Why do whites think all blacks are from Africa

Home Forums Occupation Why do whites think all blacks are from Africa

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

KandiceB

During a class discussion we got on the topic of ancestry. Everyone (my class is all white) talked about their English, Scottish, etc. ancestry. When the discussion got to me I mentioned I know of Irish, Panamanian, and Creole decent. They all stared at me in disbelief. One even tried to say my ancestors must have been slaves from Africa that went from Ireland to the U.S. I was in no way saying I am not black but why was the disbelief there? I am a fair-skinned black woman, I don’t see why it was so hard to believe.

User Detail :  

Name : KandiceB, Gender : Female, City : Nashville, State : TN Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Mara
    Participant

Why do YOU have such a hard time believing that you might have African ancestory? Louisiana Creole’s are commonly understood to be a mixture of peoples, including African-Americans. During the Spanish Colonization of the Americas, Panama was a major distribution point for slaves headed elsewhere on the mainland. In the early twentieth century there were literally tens of thousands of Jamaican and Antilles blacks working on the Panama Canal. Just because your known ancestors came from a certain region doesn’t preclude African heritage. I don’t know why YOU have such disbelief. After all, anthropologically speaking, the black race DID originate in Africa…

User Detail :  

Name : Mara, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 40, City : Atlanta, State : GA Country : United States, Occupation : data entry, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Anita

I guess the question is, when did your ancestors come to Ireland, Panama and the US? If it was prior to the early 1900s, they likely were originally from Africa and were transported as slaves and/or at least ‘lowly’ servants. If it was after the turn-of-the-century, they possibly could have come to any of the three as a free person. Or, are you thinking that they were already in these three countries, but not going back enough generations in your head to realize that the first black person in your history had to have come from Africa at some point?

User Detail :  

Name : Anita, Gender : Female, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 49, City : Indianapolis, State : IN Country : United States, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

JasonS

You might have noticed, but saying someone is “black” is kind of borderline these days. The politically “acceptable” term is African American. Which is silly at times, since many white Americans come of families who have been in this country for a lot shorter period of time than many black Americans. But the fact is that if a white person refers to a black person as, well, “black,” in certain situations, they’ll be criticized regardless of what they’re actually saying, or how they say it. So there’s a fair amount of pressure to think in those terms, and hence the assumption that that’s an important cultural influence in a given black person’s mind as well.

User Detail :  

Name : JasonS, Gender : Male, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 25, City : Bloomington, State : IN Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Dot

I think archeologists have determined that everyone on the planet is descended from Africans.

User Detail :  

Name : Dot, Gender : Female, Age : none, City : L.A., State : CA Country : United States, Social class : Middle class, 

AnneB

If you trace our ancestry far enough back we all come from Africa regardless of race. That’s where humans began, according to most scientists. Anyway, I don’t know why your classmates had such a hard time realizing that most folks in the U.S. are multi-racial. Having darker skin and being labeled “black” doesn’t mean that you are only African American. Take Tiger Woods and Barack Obama for example.

User Detail :  

Name : AnneB, City : Atlanta, State : GA Country : United States, 

Omelio

on the one hand they would have to acknowledge the possibly that your mixture wasn’t always by consent. or that any white person would go into a loving relationship with a black person. either guilt or racism take your pick.

User Detail :  

Name : Omelio, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Theist, Age : 24, City : Philadelphia, State : PA Country : United States, Occupation : Draftman, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.