Why do we sound so different?

Home Forums Race/Ethnicity Why do we sound so different?

• This topic has 1 voice and 0 replies.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

Sion

Why do black men and women sometimes butcher the english language? It comes down to being taught proper grammar in school and using it in the home. I hear myself speak and know when there is improper syntax or the wrong tense. I knew of this before I even got to junior high. Sometimes I hear people speak and they hardly ever pronounce words completely or correctly. This came to my attention when I was having light conversation with a stranger in a store and realized that I could only understand every other word, not to mention the slang. It’s not completely a black thing becasue sometimes I find that black and whites speak so proper that I can’t understand them either. I know about accents and such but why do black people sound and speak they way that they do? I have even heard of one refer to how people can sound as ‘ghetto’ and while that may be the wrong word to use what’s the proper adjective to use? Crazy sounding brothers and sisters aren’t just on Ricki Lake although that would be my example if you have no clue what I am talking about. I’m not sheltered or out of touch. I just want to know if people can hear themselves.

User Detail :  

Name : Sion, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Age : 26, City : Los Angeles, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : writer, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper class, 
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.