Why do men feel they must be dominant?

Home Forums Gender Why do men feel they must be dominant?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Danielle

Why do men feel they must dominate women?

User Detail :  

Name : Danielle, Gender : F, City : Ewing, State : NJ Country : United States, 

Oisin19961
    Participant

I feel no need to dominate women. I don’t know any men who express a need to dominate women. It is perhaps true that some men feel they need to dominate women, but then, some cars are red. I think this question says more about you and your relationships with men than it does about male behavior.

User Detail :  

Name : Oisin19961, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, City : London, State : NA Country : United Kingdom, Social class : Middle class, 

Rick29871
    Participant

Only insecure guys are like that, not real men.

User Detail :  

Name : Rick29871, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, City : Springfield, State : OH Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Kent26465
    Participant

Most men I know do not want to dominate or be dominated. If there are men who do, blame their parents and grandparents who provided role models. There are few in the media – except for movies more than 40 years old. And start looking at European movies – and yes, subtitles don’t harm you!

User Detail :  

Name : Kent26465, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Episcopalian, Age : 60, City : Melbourne, State : NA Country : Australia, Occupation : consultant, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Steve27619
    Participant

Its not just women, we also like to dominate other men.

User Detail :  

Name : Steve27619, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 44, City : Houston, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : Alpha Male stuck in a Corporate Cubicle, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Michael20723
    Participant

I’ve seen a lot of examples, usually on TV, where a woman criticises a man for being too indecisive in a relationship. It also has to do with the expectations placed on males at a young age, to be competitive and dominant. While I’d imagine that most women would want a man who plays an equal role in a relationship, there are also many who would be turned off by a man who plays a submissive role.

User Detail :  

Name : Michael20723, Gender : M, Age : 20, City : Sydney, State : NA Country : Australia, 

JB31124
    Participant

I have no idea why it’s so important to me personally to dominate in all aspects of my life. Plenty of psych literature will talk to you about tribes of monkeys and dogs and whatnot and fighting for dominance (among both genders, though generally not cross-gender).. I most desire female companionship where the dominance doesn’t come easy, but I always try to achieve, and I don’t hide that fact. Nor am I ashamed of it. Wish I could tell you why..

User Detail :  

Name : JB31124, Gender : M, Age : 26, City : somewhere, State : NA Country : United States, Social class : Upper class, 

Catherine
    Participant

I’ve recently been in a relationship with a man who openly wants to dominate women, sexually and in the rest of the relationship. In many respects it was a positive experience for me as I enjoyed him being dominant in bed – it felt as if I was able to express a side of me that is sometimes tabbo for ‘modern’ women even though I am very dominant in my everyday life and work. The positive side of his dominance was a huge amount of protection and care for me, the negative side was when he tried to force me to do things against my will in other areas. As an armchair analyist, I would say that I think he has issues with women being stronger than him (probably and predictably mother-related), and a fear of expressing himself in a more vulnerable emotional way – a common thing for many men. Men rule the world still – whatever way you look at it, they are all born into a world where they control most of politics, business, finance, law. They will of course find it difficult to be in relationship with women who challenge this position. A psychotherapist once said to me ‘remember that men are all born of a woman and spend the rest of their lives challenging the fact that ‘the other’ gave them life.’ Deep stuff.

User Detail :  

Name : Catherine, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 36, City : London, State : NA Country : United Kingdom, Occupation : arts management, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

George *******
    Participant

As an competitive egotist, I feel I must dominate everyone. Except women. In fact, I am much humbler towards women, and do not desire to dominate them so much.

User Detail :  

Name : George *******, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, City : Jacksonville, State : FL Country : United States, Social class : Upper middle class, 
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.