Why do African-Americans choose muslim names?

Home Forums Race/Ethnicity Why do African-Americans choose muslim names?

• This topic has 1 voice and 0 replies.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

Now, living in France, it would be a lie for me to claim that I have known an extensive amount of African-Americans in my lifetime. I have however, from what I’ve seen on TV, noticed that it seems to be quite common for black americans to choose Muslim names (without actually being muslims themselves!). I once met a black American named Malik, who was a devout christian believer with a tattoo of Jesus on his chest, but still, his name was Malik; a muslim name! I have seen people named Malik, Karim, Tariq, Jallel (spelled Jaleel with them), Ahmoud, Ahmed, Amir… These are all muslim names, and to be honest with you, a lot of righteous muslims would take offense if Christians misused our names. Why do African-Americans, who are Christians, choose Muslim names? And do they realise it sounds somewhat peculiar to Muslims, hearing a Christian with a Muslim name?

User Detail :  

Name : Abdelkarim Islamadjoub, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Berber/Arab, Religion : Muslim, Age : 27, City : Marseilles, State : NA Country : France, Occupation : Chef, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.