Why are there gays?

Home Forums Sexual Orientation Why are there gays?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

BN
    Participant

Why are people gay?

User Detail :  

Name : BN, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, City : Constantia, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, 

stephen

I think there are gays because sexuality is not a black and white issue. Some people are either all straight, or all gay, and many are in-between. Could it have been to keep the population from getting out of hand? Like other species who sense there is over population and create duplicates that do not foster children? I think there is another reason, someone had to do other’s hair and fix the flower arrangements.

User Detail :  

Name : stephen, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 35, City : Castro Valley, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : social work, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 

Ben S.

Hi B.N. Australian cartoonist Paul Hartigan did a little series on the life of a gay man who goes through life, dies and asks God ‘Why did you make me gay ?’ God shrugs and says ‘Why not ?’. In short, no-one knows. Maybe it is necessary for some people to work on the things in society that take time, and so they need freedom from the possible constraints of raising children. But there are plenty of gay people who want to have and do have children, so who knows ? Another theory is that it is just Mother Nature holding a card up her sleeve. Nature apparently prefers diversity, in case one option doesn’t work. I’m not a geneticist but that is one possibility I guess.

User Detail :  

Name : Ben S., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 31, City : sydney, State : NA Country : Australia, Occupation : Public servant, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Douglas25676
    Participant

The short answer is that no one really knows. I can tell you it isn’t a choice, as some people might believe. This is because, I think, most people don’t start to explore their sexuality until their teens or later, and those who become aware of their gayness after having dated the opposite sex are percieved as having made a ‘choice’ rather than realized something about themselves. Some religious groups would also argue that if inborn, then the choice comes in acting on the desire to be with the same sex. But not acting on the desire would condemn gays and lesbians to lives of tortured celibacy. An interesting article in The Los Angeles Times examined much of the research to date, and it’s tantalizingly close to providing a scientific answer. It seems to be a combination of genetic and hormonal factors in utero (while the baby is forming in the mother). And there doesn’t seem to be a defining factor, but rather a greater possibility that a child will grow up to be gay based on the genetic and hormonal balance. An analogy might be that children of alcoholics are gentically and hormonally predisposed to becoming alcoholics themselves, but not necessarily so. You can read the article here: http://www.latimes.com/health/lat_gaykids010521.htm

User Detail :  

Name : Douglas25676, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : New Age/Metaphysical, Age : 38, City : Phoenix, State : AZ Country : United States, Occupation : Administrator, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Jimmy

Why are there gays? Well someone has to take fat girls to discos!

User Detail :  

Name : Jimmy, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 32, City : London, State : NA Country : United Kingdom, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Stephanie27797
    Participant

I will never belive that gay people ‘can’t help it’. I have always been attracted to Latino men. Should I use an excuse and say it’s in my genes? No! It’s my preference, just as being gay is theirs.

User Detail :  

Name : Stephanie27797, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 21, City : Phoenix, State : AZ Country : United States, Education level : Technical School, Social class : Middle class, 

Patrick Kellogg
    Participant

There have been some studies that suggest that homosexuality has a genetic advantage to the community. The is a hard point for some people to accept if they harp on the idea that ‘a genetic mutation will peter out after a generation since homosexuals can’t breed’. That’s based on a faulty understanding of genetics (and and ignorance of resessive genes, too) I don’t have a link to a study (one was in Scientific American in 2003, I think), but biologist commented that some monkey species have a certain percentage of ‘gay helper monkeys’. Those monkeys did a lot of the tribes chores (both male and female tasks like cleaning and foraging for food), but didn’t compete for mates. Since other species can change their sex during times of environmental sress (some fish change if there aren’t enough males, for example), maybe homosexuality is a way to keep the colony going even in times of crisis. Just an idea, but ‘we don’t know’.

User Detail :  

Name : Patrick Kellogg, Gender : Male, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 35, City : Denver, State : CO Country : United States, Occupation : Self-unemployed, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.