Why all the talk about sun block?

Home Forums Race/Ethnicity Why all the talk about sun block?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 44 total)
  • Author

Mike
    Participant

Be careful. I found out the hard way that black folks tan too! I have a medium complexion. I always knew that I tan because I’m darker during the summer months and lighter during the winter months. Anyway, I thought only light skinned black people could burn. That’s not true!! Because my skin burned one summer. It didn’t hurt much but my skin did peel. So be careful, you might want to use sun tan lotion if you will be in the sun for long periods of time.

User Detail :  

Name : Mike, Gender : M, Race : Black/African American, Age : 24, City : Detroit, State : MI Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

jummy27052
    Participant

sunburns really suck. the melanin in your skin is literally blocking radiation. when a white person gets overexposed, it’s pretty much the same thing as low-level radiation sickness. you feel nauseous, there’s cellular damage, and it hurts like hell. so the suntan lotion obcession is hardly just aesthetic. it’s a health thing, primarily.

User Detail :  

Name : jummy27052, City : chicago, State : IL Country : United States, 

G.E. Long

It’s better to be safe than sorry – sun damage (UVA/UVB rays) can affect anyone – inclduing Black people. We can also be affected seriously by sunburn – the thing is, by the time we are burned, it is usually quite serious, as it (obviously) takes longer for us to feel the negative effects of the sun/tanning. In addition, just because you may think you are too dark to tan (or burn), that doesn’t mean that you don’t. I have a caramel complexion, and my father has a coffee complexion – every summer he tans (and shows it) before I do. A couple of times we both got sunburned – my skin went through the ‘tingling’ and red process, while he full out peeled.

User Detail :  

Name : G.E. Long, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Catholic, City : Chicago, State : IL Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Vincent

Fair skinned people have a tendency to sunburn easier. Darker skinned people are more resistant to sunburn but the number one concern is skin cancer. The sun’s damaging Ultraviolet rays can cause skin cancer on all races equally. This is especially true if there is prolonged exposure to direct sunlight involved.

User Detail :  

Name : Vincent, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Filipino, Religion : Seventh-Day Adventist, Age : 22, City : Loma Linda, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : File Clerk, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Jennifer26147
    Participant

Although you may have more protection from the sun than white people, your skin can still become damaged by the sun. Blacks and other dark-skinned people need to guard against this as well. It may not be as obvious for you as it is for white people because the damage from the sun can be immediately apparent on our skin, but that does not mean the damage isn’t there.

User Detail :  

Name : Jennifer26147, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 30, City : San Jose, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Engineer, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Jeramiah22959
    Participant

It is a common myth that black people do not need to wear sunscreen. The risk of skin cancer is lower for you then white people, but it is still there. Start wearing sunblock!

User Detail :  

Name : Jeramiah22959, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 22, City : na, State : IN Country : United States, Social class : Middle class, 

Sharon

Sure as a black female you may not realize that while you dont tan you do get darker from the sun.I know that I have too different shades of foundation one for the summer when I get darker and one for the winter which is not as dark. You also have to think about skin cancers and other sun related problems whether you think you need it or not you may want to try using sunblock especially since you will be out in the sun more now with the track team. and yes I do use sunblock especially during the summer months.

User Detail :  

Name : Sharon, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : Black/African American, Age : 31, City : Wappingers Falls, State : NY Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Dina M.
    Participant

the sun causes skin cancer (over long periods of time of course)Blacks do get cancer this way but it may be harder to identify the beginning stages on darker skin. some women (like myself) never tan. I go in the sun and I burn, 0 to 132 in .5 seconds. you said that they don’t need sun block but if you like having light skin than you may want it.

User Detail :  

Name : Dina M., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : unsure, City : Chicago, State : IL Country : United States, Occupation : Poet, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Susan

I’m a person of color and I tan…AND I have burned…TWICE! I now heed doctor’s advice to use sunblock as a protection against skin cancer, premature wrinkles, etc. After all, why not?

User Detail :  

Name : Susan, Gender : F, City : Long Island, State : NY Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

James
    Participant

I dont’ claim to understand any of the tanning culture etc. But you mentioned that you definitely don’t need to use sun block ?? Even if you are oil dipped black straight from the Sudan the environment has been changing and no matter how much pigment you have in your skin you are still able to get skin cancer. Your not immune.

User Detail :  

Name : James, Gender : M, Race : Black/African American, Age : 24, City : Chicago, State : IL Country : Canada, Occupation : Actuary, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Sunny
    Participant

doesn’t mean you don’t need sunblock. Black skin can be sun damaged, too! It may not make a difference in whether you tan today or not, but you don’t want to look like you’ve been microwaved when you hit middle age.

User Detail :  

Name : Sunny, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Age : 25, City : New Orleans, State : LA Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Ryan

Why would you want ‘especially blacks’ to respond, when your question is about white people’s behavior? I am a white Irish male, and I have two colors: white and pink. The pink one hurts like hell. We get a bit obsessed with sunblock because recent media reports have highlighted the link between sunburns and cancer, and though we would like a tan, we would prefer not to have to die to get one. Most of us have at least one friend or family member that have gotten a skin tumor (three cheers for global warming). One of my friends from high school recently died from skin cancer. So we’re deadly serious about the sunblock.

User Detail :  

Name : Ryan, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Buddhist, Age : 29, City : Santa Barbara, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Grant Writer, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

sara

most white people are of european descent and our skin doesn’t do well in the sun. I am irish, and can’t be out in the sun for more than a few minutes without burning. Plus, people from european countries are more likely to get skin cancer, which is deadly. Be thankful, its a constant concern for some of us.

User Detail :  

Name : sara, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 26, City : New Orleans, State : LA Country : United States, Occupation : teacher, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

liz
    Participant

Two words: Skin Cancer

User Detail :  

Name : liz, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Unitarian, Age : 35, City : chicago, State : IL Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

nary24814
    Participant

I hear this alot also within the bubble i go to school in called Rolad Park Country School. But there’s one thing I’ve been dying to ask but fear ridicule because I myself am black. Do Black people even get sunburned?

User Detail :  

Name : nary24814, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Baptist, Age : 14, City : Baltimore, State : MD Country : United States, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 44 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.