Why I choose not to answer re: Nationality

Home Forums Race/Ethnicity Why I choose not to answer re: Nationality

• This topic has 1 voice and 0 replies.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

Merrick

Interesting enough my skin is a darker brown, and has been for 38 years. However, I have slanting brown eyes, and high cheek bones. My father is mixed with Chinese and African American heritage as defined in the South, my mother is of Cherokee Indian and African American heritage, as the South defined her father. In 38 years I have never classified myself as anything, and while in college, I never defined my heritage. Why? I live and was born in the United States. I have a MBA in International Business, and that is that. No one from my family has ever been to Africa so we cannot say that we are African. We are not black because society has deemed that color closer to a jet black color and I am no where near that color. While in Paris, France and Greece, the people of those two cities were only concerned with the fact that I was a female with unique heritage. I married an Englishman, and therefore my son is multi-mixed with another unique set of nationalities. I have raised him to believe in who he is and to always go after what he wants no matter what because if we hinder children by convincing them to believe that there is a problem with having a darker complexion what are we actually teaching them? Why in the summer or on vacation or people of lighter complexions trying to tan their bodies to become darker than who they are? Why are women getting Botox injections or inhancements to make their breasts, rear-ends or faces to look a certain way? Why is it so important in this place we live in? Can’t we just relish the uniqueness of individuals and call it a day?

User Detail :  

Name : Merrick, Gender : F, Race : Chinese, Cheokee Indian, and African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 38, City : Folsom, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Business Owner, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.