Who gets the raw deal most?

Home Forums Gender Who gets the raw deal most?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Courtney

Who do you think gets discriminated against the most, men or women? Why? Also, do you think men have an advantage over women, or vice versa?

User Detail :  

Name : Courtney, Gender : F, Age : 15, City : Central Square, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : Babysitter, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, 

Marie

I think woman get discriminated against more because we are still considered the weaker sex. Unfortunately, this is still a man’s world. Woman have to prove their intelligence and their abilities to do things all the time.

User Detail :  

Name : Marie, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 21, City : Southfield, State : MI Country : United States, 

David

I think men get discriminated more because, like Sammy said, it’s assumed to be a man’s world. We’re supposed to be in power, and with the age of feminism, we’re probably viewed as obstacles, or the ‘enemy.’ At the same time, men most likely feel they HAVE to be powerful and successful because there is this idea of a man’s world. If a man doesn’t have opportunities to become successful and ends up in what feels like a powerless situation, he’s looked down upon. Also, women can use their gender in their defense when a man can’t (e.g. sexual discrimination), and I’m sure there are a far greater number of male-bashing women than there are female-bashing men.

User Detail :  

Name : David, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 26, City : Slidell, State : LA Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower class, 

SR28450
    Participant

While men often get a raw deal for being accused of not having feelings (and indeed they do) and therefore not being able to express them as openly as women for fear of being judged as ‘weak,’ I think women get discriminated against more. It burns me up to think of this now, but when I was in high school I worked a job with a male manager who called all of the girls (we were all teenagers) ‘baby’ and touched us too much and too intimately (coming up from behind and putting his arms around us). Once, when a truck pulled up with supplies for the restaurant, he showed me a carton of tampons and announced, ‘Your plugs are here.’ He also gave the girls the worst jobs, like wiping the walls and cleaning the bathroom, while the boy employees stood around idly. You may call this an isolated incident, but I believe it is quite common. I know it works the other way around, too, but women harassing men like that is much more rare.

User Detail :  

Name : SR28450, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Humanist, Age : 22, City : Austin, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : unemployed, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 

Gregory-H21591
    Participant

Any man who says that men are discriminated against more is an idiot. The ways in which women are discriminated against now are more subtle than they were in the past, but still pervasive. It’s part of American culture, and in many ways is much like racism. The reply (can’t remember who wrote it)about working under a male manager is telling–enough isolated incidents means they are not isolated, they are systemic. And i’d bet money that the male employees didn’t even notice, and I’m sure that there are lots of little things that happen on a regular basis that men, being members of the dominant group don’t really notice but that women do.

User Detail :  

Name : Gregory-H21591, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 23, City : New York, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : law student, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.