Whites and lice and blacks and worms

Home Forums Race/Ethnicity Whites and lice and blacks and worms

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

S.K. Lee

I work in a school setting, and it seems to me that white children have a problem with head lice and black children have a problem with ring worms. Does anyone know why?

User Detail :  

Name : S.K. Lee, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Baptist, Age : 30, City : Flint, State : MI Country : United States, Occupation : Para Professional, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Angela24947
    Participant

Lice cannot survive in black hair because we have to use oils and stuff that they can’t live in. White people don’t use stuff in teir hair like we do. I don’t think ringworm has a preference between black or white. I could be wrong.

User Detail :  

Name : Angela24947, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 29, City : Atlanta, State : GA Country : United States, Occupation : mom, wife, writer, Education level : 2 Years of College, 

Allan31416
    Participant

Good question. Lice may have a preference for hair type but a lot of it may have to do with conditions locally. Do the black and white people in your area live in specific areas where conditions promote different afflictions? It could be a biological thing: maybe whites do have a higher resistance to ringworm and the same with blacks and lice. There is just too little information to give a definie answer to this question. All I can say is to do some private research and figure it out if the question perplexes your so. maybe you’ll figure out something important, or perhaps humourous.

User Detail :  

Name : Allan31416, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 22, City : Halifax, State : NA Country : Canada, Occupation : Student, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Barb

I don’t know the answer to your question – or even whether it’s true that lice show up predominantly in white children and ringworm shows up predominantly in black children. I just wanted to reply to your mention of ‘ring worms.’ Despite its name, ringworm has nothing to do with worms. It’s a fungal infection, like athlete’s foot.

User Detail :  

Name : Barb, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Jewish, Age : 46, City : Reading, State : PA Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Tola24658
    Participant

I don’t kow about the ringworms (only seen one person with them) but I’ve been told that lice can hold hold onto the oval shaped hairs of whites and asians but not the square shaped hairs of blacks…. Something like that

User Detail :  

Name : Tola24658, Gender : M, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Catholic, Age : 23, City : Silver Spring, State : MD Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

taquasia
    Participant

i am sorry hon. But all blaack children don’t get ring worms. I am a 14 year old black girl and i have never in my life heard something so ignorant. please resond

User Detail :  

Name : taquasia, City : balt., State : MD Country : United States, 
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.