White woman questions racial comments

Home Forums Race/Ethnicity White woman questions racial comments

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Anne

I am an attractive, upper-middle class white woman living in New York City. Why do I seem to be a lightning rod for racial comments from blacks I don’t know? On the street, I sometimes get hisses or called ‘bitch’ from black men, and if I ask a black woman a question, they usually stare straight ahead and ignore me. My black friends shrug at this. My white friends suggest it is because I symbolize the things they are trying to attain but are denied. Their reactions make me sad because I don’t understand why, and I don’t feel that I am a racially biased person. I wish it wouldn’t happen anymore.

User Detail :  

Name : Anne, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 31, City : New York, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : graphic designer, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Dan31666
    Participant

I don’t know how it is in New York, but I can speak as a Latino from the L.A. area: A certain stereotype has been pegged on you. When my homegirls see a white woman with refined posture and poise, wearing expensive clothes/hair/makeup and possessing articulate speech, sometimes they automatically think this person is soft, naive and weak. The rationale seems to be that such a person has never experienced rough surroundings and could never empathize with someone who is a disadvantaged minority and/or poor or working class. ‘You wouldn’t last five minutes in my neighborhood!’ as the adage goes. They may also assume this person is uptight or snobbish. I feel it is 1/2 assumption and 1/2 observation. While such a person might have a very difficult time adjusting if she one day found herself in a rough life-situation, that’s not to say such a person is a snob.

User Detail :  

Name : Dan31666, Gender : M, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Religion : Pentecostal Christian, Age : 21, City : Los Angeles area, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Social class : Lower middle class, 

molly-dee20301
    Participant

that sounds pretty shitty for you,but if you want to really understand what that is about you need to extend you perspective. ‘what kind of experiences do the black people your talking about have everyday?’ you might want to wonder. what are those people hearing from others? specifically white upper middle class others? it sucks that you get pegged with these comments but it is because we live in a historically racist society that and none of us are non-participants, even if we think our selves to be not racist. you still benefit from white supremacy, it’s a hard thing to look at. i too benefit from the white supremacy that oppresses people of color because there are privilages that come with whiteness that many white people never notice because they have always been there. any way, try being genuine and smiling to people from your heart and maybe you will see a change.

User Detail :  

Name : molly-dee20301, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Lesbian, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Jewish, Age : 21, City : oakland, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : circus freak, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Thomas24785
    Participant

I say get used to this. When European Americans slip into minority status in less than 50 years, there will more racial attacks against us. It is happening now while we are still the majority. I feel the recent black-on-white hate crimes in the news are just the begining and will only increase in the future.

User Detail :  

Name : Thomas24785, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, City : Cleveland, State : OH Country : United States, Education level : Technical School, 
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.