White men in prison

Home Forums Race/Ethnicity White men in prison

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Mickey20593
    Participant

A friend of mine has been arrested and is looking at some prison time. He’s already in city jail and is not having an easy time. He is white, originally from Russia. I’m curious if white guys always have it hard in prison, and how they could get over it. Do they have to kill assaulters, or can they just fight them off?

User Detail :  

Name : Mickey20593, Gender : M, Age : 18, City : Brighton Beach, Brooklyn, State : NY Country : United States, 

Rick29937
    Participant

I don’t know for sure, but it might depend on the type of prison, what he’s in for, etc. Some prisons might be better for him than city jail. For example, low-security, ‘country club’ type prisons have less violent inmates than, say, a federal pen like Leavenworth. Also, they are bound to have more white prisoners. There are books and articles about prison life that you could probably find at your public library.

User Detail :  

Name : Rick29937, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, City : Springfield, State : OH Country : United States, 

ACC24065
    Participant

Have your friend prepare himself for even harder times. Some of the friends I grew up with made the same dumb choices your friend did. They always said city jail is much easier than actual prison. The violence in prison is so extreme it’s almost impossible to exaggerate. Being white has little to do with how hard or easy his time will be. Prisons try to keep the different groups as segregated as possible, and the inmates further choose to segregate themselves. Russians stick together, Italians stick together, Jamaicans, Black Muslims, etc. Most fights and rapes happen between men of the same ethnic background – unless he is dumb enough to try to get into one of the prison gangs. So the people he should fear most look just like him and will be the ones trying to fight him and f*** him. The prison gangs use racist fears (very successfully) to get recruits or get people to pay for protection. No, he should not kill his attacker, unless he has no choice. Think about it: That would just lengthen his stay and/or get him thrown in solitude and/or get other people trying to take revenge. But he shouldn’t back down, either; that will just make things worse. Hopefully, the bad experiences will teach him the most important thing – to never do anything that would get him sent back there.

User Detail :  

Name : ACC24065, Race : Mexican and American Indian, City : W Lafayette, State : IN Country : United States, 

Dan27151
    Participant

It depends on several things: 1) Whether he is a lightweight or a heavyweight. If he’s a (no disrespect intended) punk, then he’ll be treated as such. But if he’s a pretty tough guy with a sharp mind, he can build his reputation and gain respect. 2) How many other whites are in the pen he’s going to. If it’s 8 percent white and the rest black and Latino, he’d probably be in big trouble. But if whites are a sizeable population, he may be able to fit in. Also, there is a growing Russian criminal presence on the East Coast, and he would probably be able to find refuge without too much looking. 3) How young he is. Young guys who go in fresh and who committed minor crimes (burglary, stealing cars, etc.) usually get it the worst. But if he’s a crusty, middle-aged guy who goes in for robbing a bank, he’d probably be left alone. 4) How well he is able to stay inconspicuous. One does have to hang with one’s respective race and honor the respective heads (leaders), but it is best to retain a low profile and try to avoid as much trouble as possible. Hopefully the most he’d ever have to do to stay on their good side is back them up in a riot or go beat some guy up. What he’ll want to do is keep his behavior record good, or else he’ll be doing more time than it already looks like. All in all, prison is a terrible place. Take note, kids. Do whatever it takes to stay out of it.

User Detail :  

Name : Dan27151, Gender : M, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Religion : Pentecostal, Age : 21, City : Los Angeles area, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

First, I’d like to say I’m sorry for your friend’s misfortune. Maybe he’s guilty of the crime for which he’s been convicted, but the prospect of prison is not something I’d wish on anyone. I’ve read some abstracts about how to survive in prison in the course of my human rights work. From what I’ve read, it seems that it depends on what kind of prison your friend is going to -Minimum, Medium or Maximum. The first two might indicate less-crowded conditions, and less stress among the population, so less potential for violence. In a less violent population, it’s possible that your friend might have more of an opportunity to ‘do his own time’ and be left alone, as long as he doesn’t bother anyone else. No matter what level of security the prison happens to be, however, it’s possible that your friend will have to defend himself, anyway. In terms of his ethnicity, some will maintain that the only way to be safe is to split along ethnic lines, that you don’t have a choice. Most white prisoners align themselves with the Aryan Brotherhood. This is in exchange for protection from others not of the Brotherhood. The blacks sometimes split among the gang affiliations to which they belonged on the streets, but if something happens between a white and a black, chances are that there will be a moratorium on gang separations. Hispanics also have a gang. If your friend prefers not to join with anyone, and even if he does, he may, indeed, have to fight. Even if he loses, it will show that he’s not willing to simply let others take advantage of him – and people will be testing him right away. It can be something as minor as trying to take his food, or something as major as trying to make him a ‘punk,’ i.e. a surrogate woman. I can’t offer more specific advice unless I know what he’s going in for or how long he’ll be there or what kind of prison he’s going to. Some prisoners, i.e., pedophiles and child-murderers, are hated by everyone, and likely won’t be helped by any other group, no matter what their ethnicity. I’ll pray for your friend, and I hope he’ll be OK.

User Detail :  

Name : Jennifer R., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Humanist, Age : 29, City : Saint Paul, State : MN Country : United States, Occupation : Writer/Student, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Michell20537
    Participant

When I worked as a corrections officer in a maximum security prison in California, it was not my perception that white guys had a harder time than anyone else. There are a few distinct groups among the whites, like the bikers and the skinhead/white supremacists, but not everybody belonged to these groups. Other races have gangs of their own, but like I said, not everyone belongs to a gang. Some of the inmates are intimidated into joining these gangs because they are told that bad things will happen to them if they don’t. These gangs will offer the inmate ‘protection’ if they join the gang, but once they join they will be pressured to do things that they don’t necessarily want to do and end up getting more time. As far as how to handle a situation where the inmate is being targeted, he should stand up for himself and possibly ask the staff to be relocated to another housing unit. It is definitely not necessary to kill the aggressor. It would be a very short-sighted solution, and in fact, would make your friend’s situation a lot worse.

User Detail :  

Name : Michell20537, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 33, City : Dayton, State : OH Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Seamus28256
    Participant

Prison is not a situation I’d wish on my worst enemy. It’s worse than death sometimes. Just my opinion being 17 when I was first put into adult population. Your friend has 3 options, escape, fight, or submit. Escaping and submitting are easy to define. Depending on what prison he is in, fighting could mean an anywhere from mediocre showing in a minimum security pen for first timers and white collar criminals, to a murder if he’s doing very hard time. I’ve spent time in Boston City jails, which were 95% Black and Puerto Rican and I can tell you, any peckerwood who wasn’t from the streets and couldn’t deal with predators was liable to get it. There are certain vestiges of safety for a White inmate. Myself, being from Charlestown, was able to hook up with the ‘Irish Mob’ from Charlestown that was in State with me. Your friend, being Russian, should pray and hope a big time Russian Mafiya member messed up big time and went down. Otherwise he might be on his own. Basically he needs to give every inmate half and expect them to give half. If they don’t he needs to deal with it.

User Detail :  

Name : Seamus28256, Gender : M, Age : 21, City : Charlestown, State : MA Country : United States, Social class : Lower class, 

me.

How long is he in for? If he’s a short termer, he can do it, but he can’t afford to be sloppy about it. It’s best to make it look like an accident or suicide. For instance, he could slash the rapist’s wrists, and they will probably assume it was a suicide. Crimes in prison are seldom prosecuted, and those that are have very low conviction rates. But there’s still no guarantee so he still has to do it properly. Alternatively, he can pay a lifer to do it. He has nothing to lose, and he’d have no incentive to snitch if caught, considering that he’d have nothing to gain either from ratting him out. Or, he could fake a suicide attempt to get segregated from population. If he’s a long termer, just disregard what I’ve just said and go ahead and kill him. He’ll have nothing to lose anyway.

User Detail :  

Name : me., City : none of your business, State : NA Country : United States, 
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.