White American converts to Islam?

Home Forums Religion White American converts to Islam?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

Augustine23540
    Participant

Are there any white, non-Middle Eastern Americans who have converted to Islam, not because of having a Muslim spouse, but simply because they became convinced it was the one true religion? And are there any native-born, white, non-Middle Eastern American Muslim families? I realize that many American blacks (and some Hispanics) have converted to Islam, and some American whites convert to Islam influenced by a Muslim spouse, but otherwise? Many Americans have converted to traditional Roman Catholicism (myself included) and Eastern Orthodoxy – both rather exotic faiths when taken literally and not adapted to the times – for reasons unrelated to ethnicity or marriage, and I am curious about whether any have done similarly with Islam.

User Detail :  

Name : Augustine23540, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 41, City : Columbia, State : SC Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Kent26455
    Participant

Your assumption that people look for ‘one true faith’ is probably false. More people now are open to several religions, finding some truth in all of them. Since no religion – by definition – can be uniformly true in all times and all places, it is very likely that many western people now include Buddhist concepts, ideas from the Koran (not to be confused with cultural Islamic practice) and from Christian teaching, along with some animist (wiccan, celtic, aboriginal australian, etc) ideas based on relationship with the earth, the sun, moon, seasons, etc.

User Detail :  

Name : Kent26455, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Episcopalian, Age : 59, City : Melbourne, State : NA Country : Australia, Occupation : business academic, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

ACC25028
    Participant

The only ‘white’ Muslim I can think of is not American, he’s English. Cat Stevens, the famous folk singer of the 1970s, converted in a very public way in the early 1980s. I know there are a tiny number of American Indians who have converted to Islam. They became interested in the faith because of the claims of some Muslim historians that Muslim navigators came to the Americas before the Europeans. These same historians also claim the Cherokees have had Muslim chiefs and the Iroquois traditions are influenced by Islam. As far as I know, no other historians take these claims as credible, and the claims contradict every native oral history tradition around. I was also curious when you said some Latinos have converted to Islam, because I have never seen or heard of any. Are these Latinos with black or Arab ancestry? (There are a few Arab Latinos, like Carlos Menem the president of Argentina.)

User Detail :  

Name : ACC25028, Gender : M, Race : Mexican and American Indian, City : Phoenix, State : AZ Country : United States, Occupation : Grad student in history, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 

Misho20490
    Participant

I have been considering taking the formal step of ‘converting’ to Islam and discussing this with my husband, who is Catholic (non-practicing). I learned about and studied Islam in college. My mother (Catholic) told us at a young age that rather than forcing a religion on us, she would allow us to find our own faith. After experiencing several Christian denominations, and later, in college, other faiths, I somehow felt a kinship with Islam. I later visited Jordan and lived with a Muslim host family for a few months. For the last 10 years or so, I have been something of a ‘closet’ Muslim – meaning I follow the faith and belive in it, but I do not go to Mosque or announce myself as a Muslim. It was never very important to me to declare myself to the world. However, now that my husband and I are ready to have a baby, we are discussing what faith our child should have and how to make our different faiths workable with children involved.

User Detail :  

Name : Misho20490, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Soon-to-be Muslim, Age : 36, City : Las Vegas, State : NV Country : United States, Occupation : Analyst, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

TC

Of course your going to change. After living with a Islam family for so long their going to brain wash you just like the rest of those crazy assholes over there. Pretty soon you’ll be flyin planes into the sided of buildings!

User Detail :  

Name : TC, City : BATON ROUGE, State : LA Country : United States, 

martin

What happens if a person chooses to convert and their spouse does not? Does Islam have any ‘requirement’ regarding being married to someone of the same faith?

User Detail :  

Name : martin, City : venice, State : CA Country : United States, 

GF
    Participant

I am half white and half Mexican, born in Mexico and lived there until I was eight. I now live near Tampa, Fla. I was raised Catholic, and most of my family is Catholic. The rest is Christian Orthodox and a couple Pentecostal. I converted about a year ago, and when I did, I didn’t know anyone who was Muslim. I picked up the Quran, and after reading it, I completely believed in it, so it wasn’t hard for me to convert. I have also met a few who converted on their own like myself.

User Detail :  

Name : GF, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Muslim, Age : 22, City : Tampa, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : college student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Jamaluddin21079
    Participant

I am a Caucasian who converted to Islam (from Roman Catholicism) because I was convinced it was the right religion for me. I personally know hundreds of other white Americans who have converted to Islam for reasons of faith. It is important to remember, however, that Islam does not make distinctions between races or colors. It should also be noted that Islam is now the fastest growing religion in the United States, among people of all races. Hope this helps.

User Detail :  

Name : Jamaluddin21079, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Muslim, City : Bay Area, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Journalist, Education level : 4 Years of College, 

razia

I’m a half Italian, half Pakistani, American born Muslim. If you were to see me on the street, you’d classify me as ‘white’. My mother was an Italian Roman Catholic, who converted to Islam… [little factoid – only about 15% of the world muslim population, is from the middle east]

User Detail :  

Name : razia, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Muslim, Age : 22, City : Washington DC, State : DC Country : United States, 

Hayat R.

In the course of 3 years I knew seven Caucasian Americans who converted to Islam due to no compulsion other than their own desire. Of them five were young white women, one was a young white man and the third was a young Russian-American man. They were all between the ages of 16-25. Apparently the appeal crosses all boundaries.

User Detail :  

Name : Hayat R., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Caucasian/Asian mix, Religion : Muslim, Age : 20, City : Islamabad, State : NA Country : Pakistan, Occupation : Journalist, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

I have seen statistics that say about 10% of all converts are White. The next biggest group of converts is either African-Americans or Hispanics. My White sisters have come to this religion like my other sisters. By family members, husbands, curiosity, soul searching or any of the other ways people have become Muslim.

User Detail :  

Name : R. Muhammad, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Muslim, Age : 29, City : Washington D.C., State : DC Country : United States, Occupation : homemaker, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

I recently saw a documentary on National Geographic – ‘Inside Mecca’. One of the persons interviewed in this documentary was Delma, a White Female who converted to Islam purely on faith without any influence. She has even performed Hajj. She heard a question on a Radio Show which was something like this : ‘If Jesus is GOD, why does he worship GOD?’. This is what got her thinking in the first place. I am trying to contact her and congratulate her on her courageous decision, which involved questioning her own faith and eventually adopting another.

User Detail :  

Name : Junaid Banatwala, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Indian, Asian, Religion : Muslim, Age : 31, City : Mumbai, State : NA Country : India, Occupation : IT, Systems, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Avi

It is human to find refuge where you are accepted.you have discrimination on different grounds,quite prevalent in America.The difference is ever widening between the class & the mass.So anyone who feels as if he’s not being accepted as a part of the predominantly Christian America,would seek shelter where they would be accepted.In this case its Islam.Initially you had a lot of African Americans converting to Islam because they were’nt totally accepted by Whites.Now with family problems on the rise(marriages failing,child abuse etc.)people are feeling that all that they believed in so far was’nt working out so its time to look for an alternate.Another major factor why you’ll find more males converting is that Islam gives a lenient hand to its males.Allowing them to legally enjoy more women,they have the final say in all the matters,and things like that.What else does a bloated male ego want?To be the boss all the time.Anyone who says that he found true solace in Islam probably did’nt understand his/her own religion in the first place and was just looking for a change,Because Islam is very identical to Christianity and in some ways to Hinduism (except for the justification of shedding innocent blood in the name of religion).So personally I really feel sorry for these lost souls.

User Detail :  

Name : Avi, Gender : M, Age : 25, City : na, State : NA Country : India, 

carl
    Participant

I am infact a convert to islam, im white and american, born and raised in tx. I accepted islam when I was 17 and found that it was the true religion based on proofs from the quran.

User Detail :  

Name : carl, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Muslim, Age : 20, City : plano, State : TX Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, 

Karima

Yes, there are quite a few white Muslims who converted because they read the Qur’an or found out about Islam in some other way and decided it was the true religion. Just as there are Latino (or African-American or Japanese or whatever) Muslims who have done the same. I am of English descent, long divorced (and not intending to remarry at my age) and did not come to Islam through any man. I had known some exemplary Muslims during my working life and was impressed with the kind of people they were and with the religion that influenced them. The more I read about Islam and the Prophet Muhammad, peace be upon him, the more I wanted to be a Muslim. Of the 45 or so converts at my mosque, some 35 are white. Some married Muslims, others came to Islam in other ways. I think we white Muslims are only about 2.3% of the Muslims in the US at this time, but our numbers are growing. The majority seem to be female, perhaps since females as a whole seem to be more interested in religion. As to whether there are any white Muslim families, I think so, though I don’t know any personally. The white converts I know who have married Muslims have married Arabs or Pakistanis or Africans or African-Americans. After all, so far there aren’t that many white Muslims to marry – even supposing that one is looking for a spouse who happens to be of the same race, and I would hope that was not the case. Race is supposed to be irrelevant in Islam.

User Detail :  

Name : Karima, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Muslim, Age : 64, City : Boston suburb, State : MA Country : United States, Occupation : retired, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.