Whiny white women

Home Forums Race/Ethnicity Whiny white women

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

TMC24638
    Participant

Why are most white women so sensitive, subjective and emotional compared with minority women?

User Detail :  

Name : TMC24638, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Religion : Christian, Age : 19, City : St.Louis, State : MO Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

sue27751
    Participant

I don’t consider myself sensitive, subjective and emotional. But what the heck: I would say you might find your answer in Abraham Maslow’s hierarchy of needs. According to Maslow, first off, people try to meet their physiological needs; once those are met, they address their need for safety; then love, then esteem, then self-actualization. You wouldn’t, for example, care about not having a boyfriend if you had nowhere to live. So … minority women are, not always but often, poorer than white women. Thus, they’re probably likelier to get stuck at the physiological-needs level (trying to find daycare or pay the rent), whereas a white woman might have the luxury of being able to indulge her sensitive, subjective and emotional side. So it wouldn’t be that minority women are less sensitive, etc., just that their situations, in some cases, might force them to behave more pragmatically.

User Detail :  

Name : sue27751, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 33, City : Toronto, Ontario, State : NA Country : Canada, Social class : Middle class, 

n/a
    Participant

At first I was a little annoyed by the assumption in your question. It’s perjorative and against the rules of this page, but anyway … As for whining, maybe you’re right in that white women whine more than black women (I know you didn’t specify black, but I’m making assumptions, too). Possibly this is because in white culture, it’s less acceptable for women to be loud, argumentative or aggressive, so they resort to whining as the lesser of the two evils. Although I don’t think white women are more sensitive than any other racial group, I think it’s possible that, at times, they could appear so, again because of somewhat different ideas on social interactions. It’s my impression that black social interaction allows for a lot more teasing and putdowns than do white interactions. So it’s possible that whites do take more offense at what blacks consider harmless banter. But I also find black women to be extremely sensitive and prone to overinterpret the comments or behaviors of whites as racist. I don’t know what you mean about white women being more subjective. How so? As for being more emotional, I’d really have to disagree. I think black people, in general, tend to display more emotions than whites. I think it’s kind of a white thing to be more cool and distant emotionally.

User Detail :  

Name : n/a, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 50, City : Philadelphia, State : PA Country : United States, Occupation : teacher, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper class, 

Brian23045
    Participant

I found it ironic that two of the posts made to this question, both by white women, seemed a little ‘sensitive’ and ’emotional’. Regardless of that, I think this is a bigger issue than just race. What one person calls whining is a legitimate issue to the person making it. Certain whites feel that minorities whine too much about discrimination, although the minorities feel they are justified. I’m sure that any poor person, regardless of race, is going to see any complaint made by a wealthy person as whining, though that individual may think it is justified (poor Donald Trump, getting divorced again; poor MC Hammer, he went bankrupt after making $30 million in one year). Perhaps the things that you’re noticing white women complain and get emotional about are just things that you don’t find important, hence they are whining to you. Maybe these white women see the things that you protest as so insignificant that they would be considered ‘whining’ to them.

User Detail :  

Name : Brian23045, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Methodist, Age : 25, City : Kokomo, State : IN Country : United States, Occupation : management, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

I’ve known some incredibly touchy white women! You’re refering to being thin-skinned. I agree with the writer who pointed out it depends on the things the particular woman is occupied with. It’s not that, in generalizing, that black women are less emotional but have less annoying emotions, don’t you agree? A person who is upset about their car being towed seems more reasonable than one who is upset that a friend bought a dress almost like her new dress. I see the same thing in retirees; while working they have ‘real’ concerns, but after retiring they care way too much about their neighbor leaving the porch light on or people taking 2 days to return a call.

User Detail :  

Name : Lynnette H., Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Unitarian, Age : 40+, City : Wauwatosa, State : WI Country : United States, Occupation : Engineer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Neena
    Participant

How do you explain the fact that white trash women are just as whiney as the so called richer white women. I know alot of white women who are whiney that are poor. It has nothing to do with income, and everything to do with how they were raised. Maybe their parents spoiled them so they expect to be spoiled and soothed by the rest of the world.

User Detail :  

Name : Neena, City : Midlothian, State : VA Country : United States, 
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.