What’s child pyschology really like?

Home Forums Occupation What’s child pyschology really like?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Carrie

I was wondering what the typical hours are for a child pyschologist and what a typical day is like.

User Detail :  

Name : Carrie, Gender : F, City : Constantia, State : NY Country : United States, 

there are several ways to work with children in psychology. if you do therapy, you would mainly do play therapy and family work. sometimes you would do therapy groups. a job would run 371/2 to 40 hours. you would work a lot with children in state custody and foster homes. you would be required to testify in court. theres a lot of paperwork. if youre really committed and dont take very good care of yourself, you could work a whole lot more. there is also psychological testing, where you would spend several hours with each child/family. if you want to be a therapist, i would recommend social work programs. most insurance companies will pay for sw’s and not psychologists anymore. also people prefer that you generalize. also dont have any illusions that people working in this field are all emotionally healthy. 😀

User Detail :  

Name : pissedkitty, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : 1/2 native, 1/2 white, Age : 39, City : Caribou, State : ME Country : United States, Occupation : psychotherapist, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Leslie

That depends, of course, on the setting the psychologist is working in. In a private outpatient setting, the hours are generally eight hours or so a day, with some hours in the afternoon after children get out of school. The psychologist does a variety of tasks, including individual therapy, family therapy, psychological assessment, custody evaluations, report writing, etc. Much time will be spent haggling with managed care organizations and insurance companies. A child psychologist in a hospital setting will likely do more assessment and diagnosis, group work and brief therapy with the child and his/her family. They would be more likely to have set hours (generally 8-4:30 or so on weekdays), though they may be on-call for emergencies. A psychologist in a school setting would generally work school hours only (perhaps 7-2:30 or so). They would do a lot of assessment for learning disabilities and consultations with families and teachers, with less individual therapy. I’ve limited this discussion to ‘real’ psychologists (PhD clinical or counseling psychologists) – there are a lot of other master’s-level positions that will generally have longer, more difficult demands. If you have any more specific questions, feel free to email me directly.

User Detail :  

Name : Leslie, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 26, City : Gainesville, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : Psychologist, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.