What are the strings around boys’ waists?

Home Forums Religion What are the strings around boys’ waists?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Mark

I have often seen photos online of young boys (of pre-teen age and apparently of Eastern Indian and African regions) wearing brown or black strings around their waists. Often times they are seen wearing these without any clothing on, swimming in the sea or playing outdoors. What is this string? Is it a religious symbol? What is the meaning and purpose of only pre-teen boys wearing these strings please?

User Detail :  

Name : Mark, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 42, City : Dayton, State : OH Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

CourtneyS

I believe it is a Hindu religious ceremony of coming of age…. I think I remember that in Sociology…

User Detail :  

Name : CourtneyS, City : columbus, State : OH Country : United States, 

Sam

I believe they get the stings from the priest and tie it on the waist, around neck, or on wrist, etc just to protect from bad omen. Such things are not common in westarn countries but is quite common in asian countries. Similar thing I can think of in westarn world are friendship band, or colored wrist band that some people wear in USA.

User Detail :  

Name : Sam, City : Lewisville, State : TX Country : United States, 
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.