Violence and Jesus’ teachings

Home Forums Religion Violence and Jesus’ teachings

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Alex J.

Why do some people feel that violence may be used to spread Christ’s ideas when he preached non-violence? If possible, could a person who believes or used to believe in such ideas answer?

User Detail :  

Name : Alex J., Gender : M, Religion : Jewish, City : Philadelphia, State : PA Country : United States, 

Junkyard-Dog27051
    Participant

It’s human nature and conditioned response. Look at what Clinton is doing now in Kosovo and tell me what we are doing is right. If we don’t get what we want, we lash out with the primal instincts. Violence is the weak-minded person’s way of acting out.

User Detail :  

Name : Junkyard-Dog27051, City : Saint Clair Shores, State : MI Country : United States, 

Jerome

I do not believe Christianity is what Jesus wanted and preached. Knowing and awareness of truth and reason were his intent. By perverting lives and the teachings of great men and spreading this instruction (belief) worldwide, the Roman Empire developed a system of control that mirrored its techniques of manipulation, terror and violence on a mental level.

User Detail :  

Name : Jerome, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 57, City : Albion, State : IL Country : United States, Occupation : maintence, Education level : Technical School, 

Summer

Within the Christian faith there is a lot of disagreement on many issues. The ministry and life of Jesus seems to contradict many of the modern church’s teachings. Jesus did preach love and forgiveness. The New Testament is full of commandments to love your enemies and those who persecute you. We are never told to hate or become violent. Those who attempt to spread Christianity through violence, or commit any act of hate in His name, are going against everything he stood for. I’m sorry for those who do, and I pray Christians learn tolerance and love.

User Detail :  

Name : Summer, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 18, City : Ann Arbor, State : MI Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Social class : Middle class, 

Ronald V.

Not all who call themselves Jewish are Jewish. Even in previous centuries, a person of Jewish descent did not necessarily adhere to the Jewish Law. Not all who call themselves Christian belong to Christ Jesus. Beliefs are internal; behavior is external. If you change the beliefs, this will be seen in the behavior. If I really believe that Jesus asks me to turn the other cheek, I will. But I can change the external without changing the internal. Isn’t this why Jesus calls them “wolves in sheep’s clothing”? Jesus’ death on the cross paid the debt of everyone’s sin for all time. Even though believers do sin and are forgiven, it is for all believers to please God, forsake evil, do good and be peacemakers. One who “converts” someone else through violence does not yet know Christ, let alone follow Him.

User Detail :  

Name : Ronald V., Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 47, City : Edmonton, State : NA Country : Canada, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

D.M.M.

Though it seems to me, too, that Jesus’s message was one of love and peace, think of the many different things that people use the Bible to justify, rightly or wrongly. The New Testament is filled with repeated allegories of the Christian as soldier. Perhaps it is this militant idea by which those who do use violence to spread Christianity justify their actions.

User Detail :  

Name : D.M.M., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 24, City : Charleston, State : SC Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Normand-O-L19936
    Participant

First, I would ask you to give me specific examples of who these people are who use violence to spread Christ’s ideas. Are you referring to historical facts? Which ones? More recent acts? Again, what acts?

Secondly I would say that the acts of some, leaders as well as followers, do not always comport with authentic church teachings. Now this is not to say there have not been church leaders who were in error; there were. But those are acts of individuals, not church teaching. Third, I do not know of any official church teaching that grants the use of violence to spread the word of Christ; do you? This is not to say the church does not recognize the use of violence such as war if the reasons for that war meet certain criteria, nor is the murder of convicted criminals condemned by the church, if, again, certain criteria are met.

Lastly I would ask you why Jesus used violence to throw the money changers out of the temple, if, as you say, Jesus preached non-violence. Why the apparent contradiction? Was Jesus insincere?

User Detail :  

Name : Normand-O-L19936, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 50, City : Alameda, State : CA Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Bob A

Every religious group has its fringe group, be it Jewish, Christian, Hindu or whatever. I am a Christian and this is what I believe: “You will love the Lord with all your heart and all your strength and your brother as yourself.” Many fellow believers also follow this tenet.

I believe part of the conception that Christians are violent comes from the way the media ties believers in Jesus Christ with every off-the-wall person who claims to be Christian.

Yes, sadly, there have been some violent acts supposedly done in the name of Christ, but they were not following the example Christ set. I believe Jesus taught us love, justice, peace. There is the story of the woman caught in adultery. The men wanted to stone her, but Jesus said “He who is without sin cast the first stone.” They all left, not one stone thrown.

User Detail :  

Name : Bob A, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 48, City : St. Petersburg, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : Computer technician, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Conor

The Bible is an inaccurate historical document at best. It has been abridged, censored and changed throughout the ages by clergy and kings who found writings that did not concur with their theosophy. Ask yourself: Why did Jesus’ followers go armed if he truly taught peace? Remember the passage of the Roman soldier’s ear being cut off? During the time of Jesus, many outlaw bands roamed the desert attacking Romans and their supporters. Due to the Roman occupation, many Jews figured that the end as fortold was near, or that the coming of the Son was near. Jesus was actually a leader of one of these outlaw bands, but was especially charismatic. His followers did participate in raids and kill others in his name. The myth we have today is the one given to us by a centuries-old powerful organization that took advantage of the situation that occurred in Israel during those times. To fully understand the history and beginnings of Christianity, you may want to study theology as it is taught in a non-religious affiliated college. Violence is not new to Christians; it has been a part of their practices from the beginning.

User Detail :  

Name : Conor, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 37, City : Laguna Niguel, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Purchasing Agent, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Kerry N.

I was once a leader within the extremist hate movement that twisted the words of Christ and the Bible to justify my hatred and use of violence – to the point that I almost committed the largest domestic terrorist act in history in 1984. Fortunately I was rescued from that horrible mentality in 1985. Our group used the Bible in order to justify our illegal actions. That was wrong. I discovered that people in the movement hate because it is easier for someone to hate and blame others for their situation in life than it is to take responsibility to change what is wrong in their lives. The violence stems from the anger within for their disillusionment in life and is directed to whomever they blame for that lot in life. Christ is love, not hate. Unfortunately we are sometimes slow to realize that. For my story, see http://www.hopeful-sojourner.com

User Detail :  

Name : Kerry N., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 47, City : Fort Worth, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : Sales and service, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.