Turning down gifts

Home Forums Geography Turning down gifts

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Kelly

In other countries, is it OK not to accept gifts? Or is it considered rude if they are not accepted?

User Detail :  

Name : Kelly, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 20, City : Chicago, State : IL Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Marian

In certain cultures or countries, people don’t usually accept gifts. Being Asian, I know that is the culture for people in Taiwan. Usually, if you are the recipient, you are supposed to refuse the gift three times. If the giver continues to insist on giving it to you, you may accept. The number of times you refuse is up to you, but usually three would be best: if you refuse too few times, you look greedy; if you refuse too many times, you look like you are refusing their good intentions.

User Detail :  

Name : Marian, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Asian, Age : 20, City : westchester, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

David25904
    Participant

The short answer is that in some cultures people will be offended if you refuse a gift. A friend of mine in college who was Venezuelan with a Syrian father would always take a stick of gum whenever one was offered, thank the giver and promptly put the gum in his pocket. He didn’t actually like gum. He was shocked when I said, ‘No, thanks’ to an offer of gum. He insisted that I always accept gifts graciously, and I always have. Exception: if the gift is extravagant, you should politely refuse, unless the giver insists too much, in which case it would be rude to refuse that new car.

User Detail :  

Name : David25904, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 30, City : Washington, State : DC Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, 

Carol
    Participant

I think it’s always a little rude, but not terrible. It depends on who gives you the gift.

User Detail :  

Name : Carol, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 22, City : São Paulo, State : NA Country : Brazil, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

John29199
    Participant

i am Asian, and in my culture you are supposed to refuse if you are a child or still young unless your parents say you cant accpet it.

User Detail :  

Name : John29199, City : Sacramento, State : CA Country : United States, 
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.