The treament of outsiders in Southern California

Home Forums Geography The treament of outsiders in Southern California

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Vincent–A
    Participant

On a recent extended stay in Southern California, I was treated with disrespect and utter hatred. I am from New York and was in California for two years. To me, the people there are fake. They smile to your face and talk behind your back. There is no such thing as “real.” The people there don’t like New Yorkers or outsiders. They feel like we don’t belong in California. They say people in California are the nicest, but I say people in New York are a lot nicer and more willing to help!

User Detail :  

Name : Vincent--A, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 26, City : New York, State : NY Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Dan27271
    Participant

Two responses: 1) Southern California is a very transient area. Half the people here are from back East or the Midwest. My roots have been here for three generations or so. I guess some of those who think they have all the rights to this piece of real estate are a tad resentful of outsiders. But they are a minority. Perhaps the area you were in and the type of people you were around were factors.

2) Much of Southern California is blue collar, casual and easygoing (as far as attitude goes). L.A. itself has a Latino majority, and we are a bit more hospitable than the majority culture, from what I’ve seen. Perhaps you were surrounded by snobs or territorial types (euphemism for certain ‘rough’ whites). Southern Cal is definitely not all about jet-setting yuppies and movie stars.

User Detail :  

Name : Dan27271, Gender : M, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Religion : Pentecostal, Age : 20, City : Los Angeles area, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Student/dishwasher, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Matthew

I have lived in both places and have heard the same conversations on both sides of the country. I would just like to offer that what you expect to see, you will see. I have wonderful friends in California, and the same here in New York. The two areas are completely different with respect to energies, topographies and people. But both have nice people and mean people. I would also like to know why this question was allowed out there on Y? Forum. It is not a question, but rather a prejudicially laden statement. I thought the forum wasn’t about that.

User Detail :  

Name : Matthew, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 45, City : New York, State : NY Country : United States, 

Lucy-H22630
    Participant

People think a lot of things about California that aren’t very accurate. Such as everybody has blond hair, a nice tan and surfs. California is a big place, and there are a lot of different types of people here. I have lived in California all of my life, spending time in several different places around the state. There are tremendous differences between one part of the state and another. Every part is different and has its strengths and weaknesses. I would hate for the whole state to get a bad reputation just because people in a certain area act badly.

User Detail :  

Name : Lucy-H22630, Gender : F, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Age : 24, City : San Jose, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Engineer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Kate R.

I have visited California and New York on a number of occasions, and I must say New Yorkers are much friendlier. I’ve had the opportunity to travel around a lot, and I’ve met lots of great people, and New Yorkers were the most surprising. It is a common ‘understanding’ that they are rude or abrasive or whatever, but I’ve found the exact opposite. Californians seem to be pretentious for some reason. I’m not saying individual Californians are this way. It’s just the feeling I got from the people in general.

So no matter what anyone says, I know the truth about New Yorkers and always look forward to visiting the city.

User Detail :  

Name : Kate R., Gender : F, Age : 28, City : Columbus, State : OH Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, 

Crystal

Please don’t judge all of California by Southern California. People go to Los Angeles to ‘make it big’ in show business, so consequently you are dealing with cutthroat ambition and inflated egos. I am from Northern California and also find that a lot (by no means all) of Southern Californians are superficial, rude and hell-bent on being ‘superstars.’ If you want to see a better side of California, come to Oakland instead! I can attest to the fact that we are a much nicer, happier breed up here. We do hate to be painted with the same brush as the people in the southern part of the state, though!

User Detail :  

Name : Crystal, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Pagan, Age : 30's, City : Oakland, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Office manager, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Jack21192
    Participant

I was around California natives when I was in the military and I found a lot of them to be arrogant and quite condescending to other people from other parts of the country. I am a native of the rural South so I was barely considered a homo sapien. What is the orgin of this arrogance? I do not know. On the contrary, I found New York people to be for the most part quite friendly and helpful. I have a number of clients now that are former New Yorkers.

User Detail :  

Name : Jack21192, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, City : Cumming, State : GA Country : United States, Occupation : professional, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.