The N-word

Home Forums Race/Ethnicity The N-word

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Haze

I always hear my black friends call each other “nigger” and you hear it in raps too. Why is it OK when they do it but if a white even whispers the word, everyone freaks out whether they are white OR black?

User Detail :  

Name : Haze, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Pagan, Age : 23, City : Mountain View, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Engineer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

As an African American, I do not approve of black people using that word. I want to get that out of the way. When black people use the word, it has a different meaning. The word ‘nigga’ is used in the same vein as ‘buddy.’ Also, it can be used by a black person to insult a lower class black person who give the entire race a bad name. The reason why a white person can’t use that word is because it represents a 500 year history of slavery, rape, colonialism, lynching, and every bad thing possible. Whenever a black person hears a white person use that word, the images of rape, lynching, being second class, and centuries of systematic and personal oppression come to mind.

User Detail :  

Name : Robert L. Reed, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 17, City : St. Louis, State : MO Country : United States, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Rhonda30027
    Participant

I think black people saying the N word to each other is a lot like when people call their siblings names. It’s perfectly fine to call your own little brother, ‘Shorty’ or ‘Stupid’, but if someone outside the family calls him that you would be upset by the insult. When blacks use the N-word with one another, it’s more like a nickname. When people outside the culture use that term it is considered an insult.

User Detail :  

Name : Rhonda30027, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, City : Lansing, State : MI Country : United States, 

annonymous

Haze: How many times are we going to go around the block with discussion? Please, do us all a favor and simply do a search in the archives of Y? This is really getting old. Honestly, can we move race discussions to another level, already? If you have done any reading on this site, you’ll find this question has been asked at least a dozen times. We could better use space and time discussing other concerns. I don’t mean to come off insensitive. I’m simply tired of seeing this question.

User Detail :  

Name : annonymous, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Age : 34, City : Detroit, State : MI Country : United States, 

Sidhe
    Participant

I’ll hazard a guess, although I’m not black, so I may get it dead wrong. Between black people who are friends, it may be a term of endearment. If a white person says it to a black person, it’s interpreted as an insult because there isn’t the familiarity that exists between the aforementioned black people. But I’m not saying that all black people are one big happy family. A black stranger saying it to a black person will probably get a cold or hostile response as well. It’s just that it may be easier to take racial insults from someone of one’s own race, if you get my meaning.

User Detail :  

Name : Sidhe, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Religion : Deist, City : Vancouver, British Columbia, State : NA Country : Canada, Social class : Middle class, 

Richard

the vernacular is ‘nigga’ not nigger. in any event, as you may well know, the term is/was used as a very offensive and dehumanizing label of Blacks by some insensitive and insecure people of the White race in america. in an effort to soften or eliminate the sting of verbal degradation Blacks have adopted the term and used it in our own way with a new meaning. a ‘nigger’, by white standards was considered someone who was lazy, shiftless, submissive, weak, and of course Black. instead ‘nigga’ is a symbol of power, militarism, defiance, a strenght of character, and a Blackness that is beautiful. it is a label we have modified and stylized as we have done with many things in our society (i.e. Blacks do it with style). so, when we say it amongst ourselves it is a term of endearment and even a compliment. thus, the use of the n-word by Whites can never be complimentary. Also, the use of the ‘nigger’ word from one Black to another would also be offensive. in other words, you have to belong to that class of people to be able to relate, associate, and articulate the deeper meaning of word usage. and if you do not belong to that class your use of the word has no connection of affinity and thus there is no ‘understood permission’ for your using it.

User Detail :  

Name : Richard, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Age : 42, City : orlando, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : architect, 

Renee32501
    Participant

We as black people do not mean the same thing when we say it as when a non-black person says it.

User Detail :  

Name : Renee32501, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 34, City : New Orlenas, State : LA Country : United States, Occupation : self-employed, Education level : 2 Years of College, 
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.