Terminology for racial groups

Home Forums Race/Ethnicity Terminology for racial groups

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Nicole
    Participant

I am wondering why it is politically correct to use the terms African American, Asian American, Native American, Hispanic or Latino, but European Americans are still referred to by their color: white. Does referring to European Americans as white perpetuate the ideas of racial differences and racism in our country?

User Detail :  

Name : Nicole, Gender : F, City : Portland, State : OR Country : United States, Social class : Middle class, 

Priya

On the contrary, I think hyphenated identities are the ones that label people as the ‘other’; I often hear strangers being pointed out as ‘the Asian girl in the plaid shirt’ or whatever, but I don’t hear ‘the European girl in the plaid shirt’ or even ‘the white girl in the plaid shirt.’ Most likely it would be just ‘the girl in the plaid shirt.’ What is ‘white’ is taken to be normal or just plain ‘American,’ so if anyone’s sense of difference is being perpetuated by names it is non’whites’.

User Detail :  

Name : Priya, Gender : F, Age : 19, City : Berkeley, State : CA Country : United States, 
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.