Telemarketers and assumptions

Home Forums Sexual Orientation Telemarketers and assumptions

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #10224

    Craig
    Member

    Could anyone in telemarketing please explain why your scripts insist on asking for my or my gay partner’s alleged wife? You would never say, “Oh, Mr. Brown’s not there? Could I speak to his gay lover?” Why the presumptuousness?

    User Detail :  

    Name : Craig, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 37, City : Minneapolis, State : MN Country : United States, 
    #16349

    Kerry
    Member

    It’s because heterosexuality is so much more common. We are what, 10 percent of the population? That leaves 90 percent heterosexual, and when making generalities, you go with the most common. If a child answers the phone, a telemarketer would ask for the daddy, never mind that it could be a divorced home, or one where dad ran off, or died tragically (last week), etc.

    User Detail :  

    Name : Kerry, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Pagan, Age : 29, City : Ventura, State : CA Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 
    #30236

    Andrew
    Participant

    Telemarketers are a presumptuous bunch, and not just about sexual orientation. At my house, for example, they presume I make all the decisions. And, even more amazingly, they presume I want to talk to them at all instead of eat dinner with my family.

    User Detail :  

    Name : Andrew, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 35, City : Huntington, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : Reporter, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.