Tattle Tales

Home Forums Sexual Orientation Tattle Tales

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Stephen-S27813
    Participant

What would be the reasons for ‘outing’ a gay person, especially if it is against his or her wishes?
    Original Code SO92. Click here to see responses from the original archives. Click “to respond” below to reply.

User Detail :  

Name : Stephen-S27813, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Age : 31, City : San Antonio, State : TX Country : United States, 

Joshua A.

Dear Stephen, In response to your question about if there are reasons for ‘outing’ a friend regardless of that friend’s wishes…there really aren’t any good reasons. Simply put, there would be no reason for me to tell everyone that my friend John likes to have sex with lots of women so why would I need to say that my friend Charles likes men? It shouldn’t be an issue of life…it’s just who he or she is. Just as I wouldn’t need to tell everyone that my friend enjoys Indian food, or that my friend is afraid of heights. I’m a gay man myself, and one issue I’ve had with the gay community is that they constantly try to separate homosexuals from everyone else…they make it an issue. I just want to be thought of as a person…not a ‘gay’ person. I’ve had a problem with people saying things like, ‘This is my gay friend, Josh’…I’ve responded with, ‘and she is my straight friend Sarah.’ People don’t need to know I’m gay unless I feel it necessary to tell them. I.e. I get asked on a date…or talking to a friend or coworker about dating…etc. So, if you are wondering about a friend’s openness about their sexuality, you should talk to that person, but never take the decision of ‘outing’ out of that person’s hands. Sincerely, Joshua

User Detail :  

Name : Joshua A., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 20, City : San Antonio, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : Item processing-bank, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.