Sign me up!

Home Forums Disabilities/Challenges Sign me up!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Isabelle21234
    Participant

What do deaf people think when you try to communicate with them in sign language? I learned the fingerspelling alphabet when I was younger and a few assorted signs, but I’m very slow. Do you appreciate the effort, or feel frustrated at the difficulty in communication? A deaf woman is a regular at one of my jobs, and I’d like her to feel comfortable.
    Original Code D22. Click here to see responses from the original archives. Click “to respond” below to reply.

User Detail :  

Name : Isabelle21234, Gender : F, City : N/A, State : MI Country : United States, 

E-Henry25420
    Participant

I find it a relief, because I am terrible at lip-reading. I am willing to wait with patience while a person tries to get his/her question across with their sign language capabilities. However, if a person does not take it seriously, such as giggling with their friends while they try to communicate, then I can get annoyed. Otherwise, please do take the time and effort to communicate. If all else fails, there is the reliable paper and pen.

User Detail :  

Name : E-Henry25420, Gender : F, Disability : Deaf, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 18, City : Steamboat Springs, State : CO Country : United States, Education level : High School Diploma, 

Ashley
    Participant

Do try! I can lipread, but man it gets sooo tiring. I always appreciate the effort that a shy new signer puts forth – and I’m the patient sort, and love to see how well they’ve learned so far. So, try your best, and ask the regular Deafie u mentioned for signs for the most common words. Have fun!

User Detail :  

Name : Ashley, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Disability : Deaf, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 24, City : St. Augustine, State : FL Country : United States, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.