Reparations and who is responsible

Home Forums Race/Ethnicity Reparations and who is responsible

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Should the descendants of former white slave owners be responsible for paying the reparations owed to former slave’s descendants since those slaves never received their forty acres and a mule which was promised? If so, would it not be fair that those reparations be paid the equivalent of what 40 acres and a mule are worth in today’s dollars?

User Detail :  

Name : ShayTownsend, City : Fort Worth, State : TX Country : United States, 

I’m part Shoshone/Bannock. I live within 100 miles of where my ancestors lived for generations. My inheritance was stolen at the point of a gun and now I have to work for these people and be grateful for the opportunity. I’m going to be pretty offended if the descendants of slaves get theirs and I don’t get mine. Back to your question. What if the descendants of slave owners are also descendants of slaves?

User Detail :  

Name : GuyGuyerson, Gender : Male, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 45, City : boise, State : ID Country : United States, Occupation : self employed construction, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Lower middle class, 

DaneR

Why should they? They haven’t been slaves and they almost definitely(barring an extra long life) haven’t known anyone who was. Do you think they should?

User Detail :  

Name : DaneR, Age : 19, City : Jacksonville, State : FL Country : United States, 

SD

Lets see… Africans selling eachother into slavery over in Africa. Europeans having this little practice called indentured servitude. Asian countries selling children for sex. What country or culture has noe been guilty of enslaving and exploiting its citizens or the citizens of other countries? I’d say the 40 acres and a mule have been long repaid by the hard working Americans who are supporting many of these individuals who have enjoyed multi-generations of welfare benefits that people like me have worked hard to provide for them.

User Detail :  

Name : SD, Gender : Female, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Episcopalian, Age : 38, City : Tampa, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : Executive, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

JerryS

I think the whole idea of reparations, except in certain circumstances, is just a bottomless pit. I’m Jewish — when should I expect my check from Pharoah? One exception would be when the parties involved are well documented and the damages are recent enough so that the actual victims (not their distant relatives) can be identified.

User Detail :  

Name : JerryS, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Jewish, Age : 52, City : New Britain, State : CT Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.