Racism among African Americans

Home Forums Race/Ethnicity Racism among African Americans

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Smith

Why do many African Americans proclaim that whites are racist when they do not make any attempt to reach out to whites, and even discriminate against them in some cases?

User Detail :  

Name : Smith, City : Denver, State : CO Country : United States, 

Steve B.

I think it may be because many African Americans have given up on trying to ‘reach out’ to whites because of past wrongs, both real and perceived. They’ve learned that screaming ‘racism’ is likely to get their issues noticed. Unfortunately, they have lost some credibility in so doing because not every unfair event in life is a result of racism. African Americans are being fed the ridiculous notion that they can not be racist because they have no power. Some in the black leadership actually believe people will buy into this belief and, unfortunately, some have. African Americans are also being taught (for lack of a better term)to see racism everywhere, wheather it exists or not. This is not to say that racism does not exist–it does. it’s just that the truth is, racists are not lurking behind every corner just waiting to practice their evil craft. We still have a long way to go.

User Detail :  

Name : Steve B., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 42, City : Warrensburg, State : MO Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Understanding
    Participant

I made several attempts in college to get close to black people who had similar interests to mine. I would try to attend ‘Women of Color’ meetings, but I was rejected because I am white, even though fellow classmates who were Hispanic were accepted. It seemed inconsistent with the message. I wasn’t even completely accepted at the Bible study group, either. I even woke up one morning to racial slurs on my door. Feeling hurt and rejected, I gave up.

I think all humans are guilty of discrimination. No one knows how to act any more – we are conditioned now to feel awkward. And anyone with a conscience should feel awkward about others’ past mistakes. It hangs over our heads now to learn from it and move on. Now I try to reach out anyway, and if I’m rejected or alienated, I say “screw ’em” and move on.

User Detail :  

Name : Understanding, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, City : Morristown, State : NJ Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, 

Tony

Black people have been extending the olive branch of friendship to white people, and asking to be accepted for over 200 years. We have always extended friendship to whites, even when racism was at it’s zenith in America. After extending the olive branch for so very long, a lot of black people, are not going out of their way to be friends anymore. Look at what is going on in America cities with the police, airport security, customs agents, etc., against black people. If it only happened to the criminal element, okay, but they target all blacks. That sets in motion, the process that breaks off the olive branch. You see, black people have to learn how to get along with white people, but white people do not have to learn how to get along with black people, or any other non white. Next time you see racism, discrimination, etc., ‘HOW QUICKLY WILL YOU SPEAK AGAINST IT …. PAST, PRESENT, and FUTURE.’ My olive branch in still extended, in friendship. White people will have to take a closer look at what is really building a bridge between us.

User Detail :  

Name : Tony, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Baptist, Age : 44, City : CINCINNATI, State : OH Country : United States, Occupation : Manuf ' g, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.