Questioning a stereotype

Home Forums Race/Ethnicity Questioning a stereotype

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

David H.

Are most or all whites in the South racist against black people? That is the stereotype that many people in other parts of the country believe.

User Detail :  

Name : David H., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 31, City : Mission Viejo, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Engineer, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Meghan

I can remember in school learning about the south, and being prejudice. I think that white people in the south ARE more prone to being racist/stereotypical than other white people in the country. If you can remember about the earlier years in the south, it was always that way. and i don’t think that a lot of people have changed.

User Detail :  

Name : Meghan, Gender : F, City : Rochester Hills, State : MI Country : United States, 

Alecia

I have heard the same stereotype, and being from New York-I believed it. I have lived in NC now for two years, and while there are still some people that won’t give you the time of day, the majority of white people that I have come across have been great. I actually think that there is less racisim here in the south, then up north.

User Detail :  

Name : Alecia, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Baptist, Age : 25, City : High Point, State : NC Country : United States, Occupation : Admin. Asst., Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Tara27419
    Participant

I am originally from up North and now live in the South. I realized that the big difference between racial attitudes in the North and the South is that down South, people who are racist generally say so, while up North, people who are racist generally deny it. I wouldn’t say there is a greater percentage of racist people in the South; they are just more up-front about their prejudice.

User Detail :  

Name : Tara27419, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, City : Nashville, State : TN Country : United States, Occupation : Graphic designer, Social class : Upper middle class, 
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.