Psychological differences in race

Home Forums Race/Ethnicity Psychological differences in race

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Michael-F
    Participant

I know these are sweeping generalizations, but I have observed the following about different races:

Blacks: Seem to be more laid-back. Enjoy simple pleasures/comforts. Are more spiritual and musical.
    Whites: More driven, tense, aggressive, somber. Somewhat wry. Political/economic acumen.
    Asians: More humble, quite, peaceful. May be smarter. Logically minded.

Is this cultural? Genetic? A combination? Or does it not exist at all?

User Detail :  

Name : Michael-F, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 17, City : Yonkers, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : High school student, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Leonard22864
    Participant

Even as sweeping generalizations, these don’t quite pass muster.

User Detail :  

Name : Leonard22864, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, City : Ipsilanti, State : MI Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Christine

I think those are the people you come in contact with. It is not the same for members of every race. Just as no two people are the same, no two members of the same race are the same.

User Detail :  

Name : Christine, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Baptist, Age : 19, City : Houston, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Ben
    Participant

My thought is that it’s mostly a cultural thing. If you take any child and raise him or her in a certain envornment, he or she is likely to behave in a similar manner to those around him, regardless of the color of their skin.

User Detail :  

Name : Ben, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 25, City : Morgantown, State : WV Country : United States, Occupation : salesperson, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

ACC25092
    Participant

Sorry, but those are so absurd I wonder how you could buy into them. ‘Laid-back blacks?’ You obviously never met the blue collar ones I’ve known who bust their tail at work every day. ‘More driven whites?’ Never met the many lazy white college students (but not all, I know, I know) who think showing up to class should get you an automatic A. ‘Smarter Asians?’ I know you meant this as a compliment, but many Asian immigrants have a terribly hard time learning English. I don’t think you intended to insult anyone, but it seems like you’re just taking the old racist stereotypes of lazy blacks who just love to dance and submissive geeky Asians and are trying to make them sound positive. Undoubtedly your age has a lot do with your world view, but I hope you realize when you get out in the real world that comments like these are patronizing at best. Not to mention they make no sense. Would someone who is mixed black and white be somehow both laid-back and driven at the same time? And just so you know, no respectable scientists anywhere think ‘race’ is a valid concept to predict character traits or anything else except ‘mankind’s most dangerous myth,’ to use Ashley Montague’s famous phrase.

User Detail :  

Name : ACC25092, Gender : M, Race : Mexican and American Indian, Age : 36, City : Phoenix, State : AZ Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 

William

Are you really serious?White students think that they deserve an A for simply showing up?That is as much a silly generalization as any Ive ever heard.Especially when they know that if they dont earn an A that they could loose their spot in college to someone who looks like you who has never earned an A in his life. WE know that just showing up will not earn us an A.We must work for it.You are mistaken if you believe that we have lower standards for ourselves.

User Detail :  

Name : William, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Methodist, Age : 39, City : Columbia, State : SC Country : United States, Occupation : Sales, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

M. Y.

Hello? Has it ever occurred to you that those Asians that you’re talking about is but a minority? Many Asians are well-educated, have coherant English speaking and writing abilites, and are hardworking. Not to say that the other races aren’t hardworking, but most of the people who don’t grasp English as a proper language are those who come from the more rural areas in poorer countries with little access to facilities and this isn’t subjected to just Asian countries. Besides, English is one of the simplest languages I have ever learnt aside from Japanese, so many people don’t find it a problem. It’s all in the head.

User Detail :  

Name : M. Y., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Asian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 16, City : n/a, State : NA Country : n/a, Occupation : Student, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Monique20353
    Participant

Asians are, very education driven…parents are usually strict and stress discipline and the importance of a good education (though no matter the race, it’s up to the child to follow through) In response to the thing that someone said about Asians having a hard time about learning english, the english language is probably one of the hardest languages to learn, due to things like sentence structure and the fact many words were taken from many other languages. My Eastern European teacher told me that if it wasn’t for her knowledge of Greek and Latin, she wouldn’t have learned English as quickly as she did. Nowadays, people all over the world take english as part of their school curriculum, so I don’t think their english speaking abilities would be worse than any other foreigner.

User Detail :  

Name : Monique20353, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Asian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 18, City : Monterey, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Moe20294
    Participant

Blacks have the highest suicide rate in the United States. How laid-back is that? I have a female co-worker who is a young Guamanian. She was married to a 20-year-old black man. They have a two-year-old daughter. Her husband killed himself. Shot himself in the head. He was ashamed because he did not feel he could provide enough income to sustain his young family. I have not met one Asian (and I grew up attending a Japanese Baptist church) who displayed superior intelligence. The white guy who lives across the road from me is in his garage all day building birdhouses and writing poems, while his multiracial wife works as a nurse 10 hours a day.

User Detail :  

Name : Moe20294, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Of many races but live as a black man, Religion : Christian, Age : 38, City : Portland, State : OR Country : United States, Occupation : Network Admin, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Kristina

I know some may be offended at this post, but I find his ‘generalizations’ match my observations of different ethnicities, especially in regard to blacks and whites. With Asian Americans, I cannot fully say, because American-born ones (in my opinion) seem to exhibit white cultural behaviors and habits, although ones who are true to their heritage do possess a persona unique to their community (as with any ethnic group).

Anyway, as far as blacks, I can say as a black woman that we are a more ‘laid-back’ and ‘relaxed’ group. The element of spirituality evident in the black community has allowed it to relish whatever it could in the harsh life fate had given it in previous eras. However, just because many blacks enjoy themselves more doesn’t mean we aren’t as intellectual as whites or Asians. This is where the racism comes into play, I think. We don’t want to always be viewed as the ‘entertainer.’ There is more to us than rap music, acting or whatever. We have minds like everyone else that can go as far as the stars, just like all human brains of average intelligence.

Why things are this way has to do with culture. Genetics has nothing to do with it, because if this were the case, people could not adapt at all to other people’s cultures.

User Detail :  

Name : Kristina, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 20, City : Washington, State : DC Country : United States, Occupation : Transcriber, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Christina32045
    Participant

There are only 2 groups of people you can judge without having to get to know them: Men and Scientologists

User Detail :  

Name : Christina32045, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Baptist, Age : 21, City : Long Beach, State : CA Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.