Personality Conflict or Racism?

Home Forums Race/Ethnicity Personality Conflict or Racism?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Aubrey-D
    Participant

I am a 26-year-old professional African-American woman. I feel that in my workplace, my white colleagues don’t respect me as their equal, even after five years of working there. I am a very ambitious, aggressive and outgoing person. I seek their friendship from time to time, but they just reject me. They ask each other out to dinner around me, etc., but don’t ask me. I have another co-worker who is black, and she is treated the same way. I know we have some relationship problems where I work, but how can I change this? I have read and listened to people talk about this problem in America. I have often thought about transferring to another department, but my peers have always said that won’t help. Most white people are intimidated at the thought of having a black person working beside them. Still, what can be done to have equality?
    Original Code R595. Click here to see responses from the original archives. Click “to respond” below to reply.

User Detail :  

Name : Aubrey-D, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Age : 26, City : Indianapolis, State : IN Country : United States, 

C-Neal
    Participant

If you have no direct problems with you co-workers and you all seem to get along fine, then they may seem threatened by you or may not feel like they have anything in common with you. I have had similar experiences with the white people I have worked with and they seem to feel like I never want to be included in anything or that I don’t want to be bothered with them. On the same note these same people try to include themselves in all my conversations and activities that have nothing to do with them that I have going on with my black co-workers. It is almost like they want to be a part of my world, but don’t want to include me in theirs. Strange folks are what my grandmother calls them.

User Detail :  

Name : C-Neal, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Baptist, Age : 29, City : Ypsilanti, State : MI Country : United States, Occupation : Assembly, Education level : 2 Years of College, 
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.