Percentage of the population that’s bi

Home Forums Sexual Orientation Percentage of the population that’s bi

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Stephen L.

What is the percentage of the population that is of bisexual orientation? I’ve always been led to believe by official sources that it was quite low (1 percent or so)? Looking on the web as well as at less-official cultural sources, that appears too low. Why the cover up officially, then?

User Detail :  

Name : Stephen L., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Universalist, Age : 24, City : Houghton, State : MI Country : United States, Occupation : Grad student, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

H.

Actually, one percent is almost certainly too low but no one has particularly valid statistics to go on due largely to the continued social stigma of homosexuality and bisexuality. There are few people who are equally bi relative to those who are mostly straight or mostly gay, but there are huge numbers of people who are somewhat bi. Most reliable studies have shown that about 25% (often a much higher number) of men have had sex w/ a man at least once. However, that’s a measure of behavior (independent of attraction [the most common definition of orientation] or identity).

User Detail :  

Name : H., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : white Southerner, Religion : Methodist, Age : 25, City : Washington, State : DC Country : United States, Occupation : statistician, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

A.N.

It’s impossible to get a valid statistical analysis on bisexuals – or gays, for that matter. This is because there are so many of them who haven’t accepted it, and therefore refuse to tell anyone. I believe many people are bisexual. I think sexuality is a continuum, and most people who are more attracted to members of the opposite sex tend to ignore their gay tendencies due to societal pressures. If the true were known, I believe the majority of people are not straight but bisexual.

User Detail :  

Name : A.N., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 23, City : London, State : NA Country : United Kingdom, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.