Overweight black women

Home Forums Race/Ethnicity Overweight black women

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

J. Stone

I don’t want to offend anyone but I have to ask: It seems that percentage-wise, many more black women are overweight than white women. Is this true, and if so, does anyone know why?

User Detail :  

Name : J. Stone, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Methodist, City : Lansing, State : MI Country : United States, Occupation : Library, Education level : 2 Years of College, 

pg

blacks in general are more likely to be overweight than whites. black women are also more likely to be overweight than men. this is most,likely the result of self image – blacks have not bought into the anorexic ideal of beauty which seems to have started in the 60’s with twiggy. neither black men nor women have problems with the zoftig female form. again this may account for a lower incidence of anorexia/bulimia in the black population.

User Detail :  

Name : pg, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, City : Annapolis, State : MD Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 

Louis A.

There are probably several factors involved, but in my opinion black women tend to have a lower resting metabolic rate compared with white women, which could be a major factor. The July 1999 issue of the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition has an article on the topic. The same is true of black men vs. white men. I would suspect it has (like most race differences) something to do with our different evolutionary histories. Louis Andrews http://www.lrainc.com/swtaboo/

User Detail :  

Name : Louis A., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 57, City : Augusta, State : GA Country : United States, Occupation : Investments, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Onewanda
    Participant

I doubt that very highly. One thing I have observed in a very unscientific manner – and rashly generalized – is that many overweight black women tend to carry themselves with more pride and confidence (of which I am extremely jealous), and thus are more noticed and remembered. Overweight white women tend to try to hide themselves and their bulk (yes, myself included) and, like a typical wallflower, if someone doesn’t make an impression, it’s doubtful you will recall them later.

User Detail :  

Name : Onewanda, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 27, City : NYC, State : NY Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Kimberly26379
    Participant

While at the gym you can’t help but notice that the majority of the female members are white. I believe that diet and lifestyle contributes to the over weight problems some black women have.

User Detail :  

Name : Kimberly26379, City : Austin, State : TX Country : United States, 

Me

I am overweight white woman and I carry myself with confidence. I am 5’10’ and wear size 16/18. I have had white women of all sizes say that I should not ‘strut around like she is a size 6’ Why not?

User Detail :  

Name : Me, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 28, City : Here, State : CT Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.