Off to See the Wizard

Home Forums Sexual Orientation Off to See the Wizard

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Jodi
    Participant

What is the connection the gay community (particularly gay men) has to the movie The Wizard of Oz? I have seen t-shirts about this, and my gay friends talk about it, often assuming I know what they mean, but I don’t.
    Original Code SO72. Click here to see responses from the original archives. Click “to respond” below to reply.

User Detail :  

Name : Jodi, Age : 26, City : Toledo, State : OH Country : United States, 

R. Parral

Jodi, my answer is that the ‘Wizard of Oz’ is truly magical–there are the fabulous Ruby slippers (I made each of my nieces a pair for an early birthday, and they were all in awe as they realized that they owned ‘the Ruby Slippers’), Glenda the good witch’s beautiful gown, crown and scepter, the wonderful ‘horse of a different color’, the ‘Emerald City’ etc. More importantly, the naive, seemingly defenseless, Dorothy encounters a very powerful Wicked Witch, Sinister trees, a haunted forest, killer poppies, and the witch with her large army that corner her in the castle, yet Dorothy somehow emerges triumphant over impossible odds. Growing up gay, I encountered numerous ‘Wicked Witches’ people in Junior High and High School that called me ‘Faggot!’ and ‘Homo!’ in front of school officials (at times) without impunity. I am not an angel, but the majority of these catcalls came from people whom I hardly knew and had never done anything against. This sent me home to cry into my pillow at night, yet I couldn’t even confide this to my closest friend, or family member. You have to admire Dorothy.

User Detail :  

Name : R. Parral, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Religion : Catholic, Age : 40, City : Los Angeles, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Supervisor--Customer Service, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.