“No-piercing” zone for white kids?

Home Forums Race/Ethnicity “No-piercing” zone for white kids?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

Hana
    Participant

As I was growing up I noticed that a lot of my white friends couldn’t get their ears pierced until they were around 16. I have noticed that black and Hispanic people usually get their babies’ ears pierced before they are even a year old. What is wrong with ear piercing in the white community?

User Detail :  

Name : Hana, Gender : F, City : Vienna, State : VA Country : United States, 

Jane20927
    Participant

I suppose it is that white people, in general, tend to be more conservative about things. I also have noticed that Caucasians are much more diligent in teaching their children manners and respect, not only for their elders, but peers as well. If a Latino child cusses his teacher out, more than likely the parent will PRETEND to reprimand him in public, but will laugh and praise the child once in private. I have seen this happen over and over in different families, including mine. As far as earrings go, well…what do you expect of a family who doesn’t even know what respect is?

User Detail :  

Name : Jane20927, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Religion : Atheist, Age : 20, City : Los Angeles, State : CA Country : South Africa, Occupation : Student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower class, 

Kristi26238
    Participant

I have never heard of this. I am white and got my ears pieced when I was about 4 or 5. I also know several white people who have had their infant’s ears pierced.

User Detail :  

Name : Kristi26238, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 20, City : Tulsa, State : OK Country : United States, 

Dawn25934
    Participant

From my experience, ear piercing is more or less an issue of responsibility. If you are responsible enough to take care of it yourself, then it is OK. If not, you wait until you are. I was 5 when I first got my ears pierced. I will do the same with my daughter. When she asks, and if she can handle the responsibility, she can get her ears pierced.

User Detail :  

Name : Dawn25934, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Baptist, City : Atlanta, State : GA Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 

Cynthia31763
    Participant

My guess is that some white families don’t want their daughters ‘decorating themselves for men’ at an early age. Piercing ears and wearing make-up go hand in hand. It’s sort of to keep the girls young as long as possible. I have never heard of girls not being allowed to pierce their ears until 16, though. In my circles (which include Asians and whites), it was around 12. You start junior high, you get your ears pierced and you’re allowed to wear small amounts of make-up.

User Detail :  

Name : Cynthia31763, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Asian, Age : 24, City : Toronto, Ontario, State : NA Country : Canada, Occupation : Graduate Student, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Carry

In my family, the girls all had their ears pierced as babies. My mom took my sister and I to have ours done around the time we turned one. All my cousins have their ears pierced, too. However, when I wanted to get them pierced a second time, my mom told me I had to wait six months to make sure it was something I really wanted. The same rule applies to any of the boys who want piercings.

User Detail :  

Name : Carry, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 19, City : Peoria, State : AZ Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

LM22562
    Participant

Nothing is wrong with pierced ears, I think it’s just considered to be more of a grown up thing w/ whites. I wasn’t allowed to get my ears pierced until I was 13. There is a certain amount of responsibility/maturity level in keeping up w/ jewlery etc. Personally I think it’s tacky to pierce an infants ears. Shouldn’t whether or not your ears are pierced be a personal choice? But then again that’s just how I was raised.

User Detail :  

Name : LM22562, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Presbyterian, Age : 26, City : Chester, State : SC Country : United States, Occupation : social worker, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Keisha

My roommate had a conversation about this, and it was interesting since I my ears were pierced when I was a baby. She is white and has never had her ears pierced for some of the same reasons that were mentioned. As a cultural signifier of Latino and Black populations my thought is that it may be a practice that identifies the gender more easily than no piercing, and as a decorative practice it is passed on to generations.

User Detail :  

Name : Keisha, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Humanist, Age : 31, City : Salt Lake City, State : UT Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Brandy
    Participant

I too have noticed that. Although I can’t expressly say why this happens this way in the White community, I can say that for the African-American community, decrorating the body is very important in our culture.

User Detail :  

Name : Brandy, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 25, City : New Orleans, State : LA Country : United States, Occupation : Teaching Associate, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

CP31873
    Participant

My mom told me that I couldn’t get my ears pierced until I was old enough to take care of them by myself. She viewed it as a type priviledge, or a sign of being grown-up, so she made me wait until I was older. I mean priviledge in the same way that it is a priviledge to get a driver’s license (and nearly everyone gets one eventually).

User Detail :  

Name : CP31873, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 33, City : Broomfield, State : CO Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Larry22957
    Participant

I’m not sure of the validity of your statement, but I would think you should allow your child to have a say in whether or not she wants to have her ears pierced. Having a baby’s ears pierced seems to me to be more about the parent want to add more decoration to their little trophy than about the child.

User Detail :  

Name : Larry22957, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 34, City : Macon, State : GA Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Molly
    Participant

I think this is just a difference in cultures. Many of my friends grandmothers never had their ears pierced (someone wears clip on earrings). I was not allowed to get my ears pierced until I was 10. It was something that my parents felt at 10 I was old enough to take care of my ears risk infection etc. It was kind of a small right of passage for me to get my ears pierced. But as body piercings and tatoos etc become more common maybe getting ears pierced won’t be such a big deal and more babies will have their ears pierced. I also remember it being painful. As it is not part of the culture maybe the pain deters parents from getting it done until the child can ask for it.

User Detail :  

Name : Molly, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 31, City : San Francisco, State : CA Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Linda K

In my family, children younger than 16 don’t get pierced ears because they are very active, and often not very careful. A neighbor’s child who was rough-housing with friends got an earlobe torn when the hoop earring caught on something and pulled through. Besides, this way it becomes something special, a ‘rite of passage.’ (I still don’t have pierced ears, although both my daughters and the one granddaughter who’s over 16 all do.)

User Detail :  

Name : Linda K, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Pantheist, Age : 62, City : Small town in upstate, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : Computer Engineer, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Jody

I was not allowed to get my ears pierced until I was 14, and only after striking a deal with my parents. I was very jealous of my cousin who got hers pierced at 6. However, about the time I got my ears pierced, another cousin, who was a very young mother, got her infant daughter’s ears pierced. I remember feeling, along with most of the family, that this was not right. A lot of the family’s concern about this was expressed in terms of health issues- that her ears would get infected, or that the earrings would catch on something and rip out, but I think that was just the part of our uneasiness that we could describe. My mother, like many white women of her generation (at least where I grew up in the Midwest), does not have pierced ears (or believe in tattoos, etc.) She felt that because the piercing was fairly permanent, I had to be old enough to make the decision for myself, and that she as a parent shouldn’t be making the decision for me. I think that perhaps this shows that the white middle-class culture puts a lot of emphasis on making children into independent adults, rather than keeping them close to their families- but that might be taking this question too far. Personally, I know that when I have a daughter I will not be piercing her ears until she wants to do it, but I don’t know at what age I will feel that it is appropriate to grant her request.

User Detail :  

Name : Jody, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 30, City : Bloomington, State : IN Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

raquel
    Participant

i had my ears pierced before i started middle school, not because i was white but because my mom said that it was my decision whether or not I wanted it. But I have noticed alot of other white girls werent allowed, like my best friend jackson. Her mother wouldnt let her until she was 15. Unusually lots of (not all) white women think that is promiscuous and unneccessary or even white trashy.

User Detail :  

Name : raquel, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 18, City : elizabeth city, State : NC Country : United States, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.