Nagging

Home Forums Gender Nagging

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author

James M.

Why do women nag so much?

User Detail :  

Name : James M., Gender : M, Age : 30, City : San Salvador, State : NA Country : El Salvador, 

Bill

If you ever find out, please write a book for the rest of us. You’ll become rich beyond your wildest dreams.

User Detail :  

Name : Bill, Gender : M, City : n/a, State : NA Country : United States, 

Monique-M20339
    Participant

What do you mean by nagging? Do you mean a woman who might be assertive? Men and women nag. In my opinion, people often nag if they feel they are not being taken seriously or if they feel they are not being heard. Often, complaining or venting is an outlet or makes them feel a little better. People get frustrated regardless of their sex and go through all those crappy emotions throughout their life. As far as your perception that women nag, it could be that traditionally women might have been taught to be reserved, repress their emotions and be kind and sweet. Now we’re supposed to be living in a less-traditional society, so women probably feel it’s OK to vent and be bitchy.

User Detail :  

Name : Monique-M20339, Gender : F, City : Ft. Myers, State : FL Country : United States, 

Leigh

My experience is that women nag because men don’t listen. We have to repeat ourselves in hopes of finally being heard.

User Detail :  

Name : Leigh, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : European American, Religion : Pagan, Age : 30, City : Fort Collins, State : CO Country : United States, Occupation : Stay-at-home-mom, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Anna

Men do it, too; it just sounds worse when we do it because our voices are shriller. Anyway, women talk more than men anyway, so it follows that we would nag more.

User Detail :  

Name : Anna, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 19, City : London, State : NA Country : United Kingdom, Occupation : student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Gaston
    Participant

Women nag more because their worry more than men. They preoccupy themselves with every detail in life much more than men do.

User Detail :  

Name : Gaston, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 26, City : San Francisco, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Annie

In my experience, anyone who thinks they are being nagged is probably very lazy, and the person nagging them is really begging. I have five brothers, and after living with them I can’t help but feel sorry for those doing the ‘nagging.’ The nagger is probably on their hands and knees scrubbing all the floors in the house after doing all the laundry and washing the dishes by hand, and sees the full trash can. ‘Hmmm, that’s one more chore I have to do!’ Then they look over and see their five brothers sitting there, playing Nintendo, and they start begging and even trying to bribe one of them to take out the trash because that little task will ease their burden greatly. If the boys even aknowledge that the ‘nagger’ is asking and bribing them very nicely to do one thing, it is to grunt and say ‘quit nagging me.’ Give the person a break and do the favor they’re asking and you won’t feel like you’re being nagged. Just do it, for the love of God!

User Detail :  

Name : Annie, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 24, City : St. Louis, State : MO Country : United States, Occupation : librarian, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Nancy
    Participant

I would describe nagging as constistent negative reminders of trivial issues. It seems to me that a person who nags is not busy enough with their own life and spends too much time thinking about what others should be doing, or feeling powerless about their situation while attempting to control another. I have found this to be a common trait in men.

User Detail :  

Name : Nancy, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 43, City : Camarillo, State : CA Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Jason31231
    Participant

Nagging, to put it simply, is often an attempt to control the behavior of another person. It would be foolish to say men don’t do it, but it does seem to be a predominantly female trait. The trouble is that it’s a negative feedback loop – nagging most people creates a standoffish, defiant attitude, which in turn acts to make it even less likely that the desired behavior will occur. I would disagree with the poster who said that those who nag do so from a lack of other things to occupy them – many such people I’ve known were very busy indeed. Lacking another more effective method, though, people will resort to nagging in an effort to modify the actions of others.

User Detail :  

Name : Jason31231, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 29, City : Omaha, State : NE Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Anonymous
    Inactive

I find both men and women nag — just about different topics. My husband and I made a pact early on that we wouldn’t do that to each other… and at the same time we would equally carry our own weight to avoid the ‘need’ to nag thing. If something needs done, do it!!! If something is being done that offends… talk about it!!! Communication is key in all relationships / nagging IMO is a feeling of not being ‘heard’ or a need to ‘control’ some one else. I don’t like it. Talk to the ‘nagger’ or ‘nagee’ and find out ‘what’s up???’ with the nagging… many times it is an easily solvable issue like someone mentioned… if the trash needs taking out — take it out, dishes need done, do them — pick up your own socks and underwear — that is NOT someone else’s job! Clean up after yourself — all good things to teach our children to do as well… they learn by watching us. Women, I think tend to nag more about a loved ones choices… what s/he is eating (health) sort of topics as well as not getting enough help around the house. Men tend to nag about things like ‘Why did we run out of milk?’ or ‘You sure are putting on a few pounds…’ or ‘Could you keep the kids quiet (while he naps in the lazy boy)’ More of a at home I am ‘king’ sort of thing while women are more about being concerned for others health and well-being. Not that either feeling is wrong but should just be more moderate in the tone and concern — do things before they need nagging about or just do it yourself if your the one who sees it needs done.

User Detail :  

Rhoda
    Participant

Men usually feel that they get nagged more than women do – but men tend not to remember/put off doing things they have said they will do – so when reminded they figure they are being nagged. Also men (scientifically proven) can’t think about many things at the same time (unlike women) and so they get caught up doing something specific and tend to not remember the other tasks to be done (needing to be reminded – sometimes)

User Detail :  

Name : Rhoda, City : St Hts, State : MI Country : United States, 

Catherine
    Participant

Nagging is the persistent repetition of unpalatable truths.

User Detail :  

Name : Catherine, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 36, City : London, State : NA Country : United Kingdom, Occupation : arts management, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Sophia D

I am a wife, and yes, I nag. Why do I nag? Because asking once rarely does the trick. Why is it that if I ask once, it doesn’t get done, and if I ask twice, it’s nagging? Where is the point when it can get done without nagging? I work a full day and then come home to do 95% of the housework. I get frustrated having to ask once, I don’t like to have twice, but most times I do have to ask twice. I don’t like doing it any more than my husband likes hearing it, but I can’t find any other viable solution.

User Detail :  

Name : Sophia D, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 30, City : Seattle, State : WA Country : United States, Occupation : Editor, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Student27728
    Participant

I think most women nag because it is the only way we can get a response from men. Most men do not listen if we just ask them to do something, so we keep asking. This is when we start to nag. Besides, nagging works the best most of the time. If men would just listen and do it the first time, women wouldn’t have to keep hounding them about it.

User Detail :  

Name : Student27728, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 21, City : Warrensburg, State : MO Country : United States, Occupation : bank teller, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Christine32086
    Participant

We wouldn’t have to nag if you did what we said the first time.

User Detail :  

Name : Christine32086, Gender : F, Age : 19, City : Iowa City, State : IA Country : United States, 
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.