Multiracial category

Home Forums Race/Ethnicity Multiracial category

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Maya H.

Can someone explain how the current multiracial category movement began? How do its supporters envision it would work in unifying people, especially along political lines?

User Detail :  

Name : Maya H., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Humanist, Age : 26, City : Upland, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : professional, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Patrice F.
    Participant

Multiracial-ness has nothing to do with skin color, because multiracial people come in every shade imaginable. It has to do with heritage and having the right to be proud of every heritage. Multiracial people are grouped into three categories: Biracial, Tri-racial and Multiracial. Monoracial people have parents of the same race. I’m often told by African Americans, ‘Well, we all are mixed.’ Which is true, but multiracial people are of first generation racial mixing. A biracial person has patterns of two different races. A tri-racial person has one monoracial parent and one biracial parent and a multiracial person has two biracial parents. We within the Multiracial movement want to break down the old slave system of the One Drop Rule, which is a myth that has dominated from slavery to the present, and give Multiracial people the right to state who they are without being placed within one racial category or the other. The goal is that one day we move past these categories and recognize each other as human beings. But that will not happen until we give mixed families – whose numbers continue to grow – the chance to love each heritage that created them and not be pigeonholed into racial categories based on their skin color or drop of blood.

User Detail :  

Name : Patrice F., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Religion : Buddhist, Age : 26, City : Johnson City, State : TN Country : United States, Occupation : College Student, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 

TG27578
    Participant

We are all one race. The human race. If only it could be that simple.

User Detail :  

Name : TG27578, City : Springfield, State : IL Country : United States, 

Cordelia-Knights
    Participant

I totally agree with you. I’m tri-racial (Asian, black and white), so this message caught my eye when I saw it. I was impressed when you said that a tri-racial was with one monoracial parent and one biracial parent. I have never seen or heard those words ever in my life or ever came into contact with anyone who’s ever realised it. I don’t often meet many biracials (and I definitley don’t meet other tri-racials) and if I ever do meet a biracial, I can’t really connect with them. But your words are very true and I could really identify and concur with what you said. I’m so glad there’s someone else out there who knows of the existence of multi- and tri-racial people!!

User Detail :  

Name : Cordelia-Knights, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Religion : Taoist, Age : 16, City : New York City, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : Student, 
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.