Misconceptions of Africans/Black Americans

Home Forums Race/Ethnicity Misconceptions of Africans/Black Americans

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Dominique

What misconceptions do African Americans have about Africans? In addition, what misconceptions do Africans have about African Americans? If you’re African or African American, know people who are either or are none of the above but feel you can answer this question justifiably, please do so and let me know the reasons for those misconceptions.

User Detail :  

Name : Dominique, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Don't believe in religion, Age : 22, City : Washington, State : DC Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Janet20965
    Participant

I spoke with a high school girl who was originally from Uganda. She told me some African Americans think she is trying to be white. That’s about all I know in the area of misconceptions. I’m interested to read what others have to say.

User Detail :  

Name : Janet20965, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian Scientist, City : Tampa, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : counselor, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Stephanie

I am a college student. Recently we had several students from the Ivory Coast as exchange students for seven weeks. At a Black Student Association meeting I befriended them, and we hungout for the time they were here. I eventually found out that Africans think African Americans are lazy and/or violent people. This is because of the media’s portrayal of black Americans. When they came to my this university they were shocked at how we as a people on this campus totally smashed the image they previously had. We proved that we do have people in our race who work, are friendly, attend higher educational facilities and are caring.

User Detail :  

Name : Stephanie, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 21, City : Indianapolis, State : IN Country : United States, Occupation : College Student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Dominique

Thanks so much for responding to my inquiry. If you know any more misconceptions or know other people who might, please let them know about my question. I’m interested in getting several misconceptions.

User Detail :  

Name : Dominique, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Don't believe in religion, Age : 22, City : Washington, State : DC Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

TR24202
    Participant

I know I’ve perceived Africans to be very judgmental toward black Americans, while I know black Americans (myself included) who perceive Africans to be foreigners with heavy accents, primitive and generally ‘not one of us.’ Most of these perceptions are based on what we see on TV, and they are sometimes confirmed when we meet each other. But I’ve found that friendship – or at least familiarity – breaks down these stereotypes.

User Detail :  

Name : TR24202, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, City : Newark, State : NJ Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 

Jummy

I was Born in Nigeria and can only tell you what my parents’ conceptions of African-American kids are. My parents feel African-American kids have no respect for their elders. They think that African-American kids have forgotten what it is like to respect those who have come before you and the vast information they have. They think that African-American kids have no home training sometimes. Among my African-American friends I find that they believe the sad media hype that all Africans are anorexic-looking people who run around with no clothes on. They think all Africans live in mud huts. I think on both sides the media is responsible for the misconceptions that Africans and African Americans have against one another. Because there are African-American kids who have the upmost respect for their elders, and there are Africans who live in cities, ride busses, watch TV and wear name-brand clothing. We all need to stop believing the media hype.

User Detail :  

Name : Jummy, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Lutheran, Age : 21, City : Jamaica, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 4 Years of College, 

AmberW

I always thought Africans really did not like American Blacks. I have heard rumors that Africans call us ‘Cata’s’ (which is short for ‘cotton pickers’) and believe that we are not a part of them b/c our blood is ‘diluted’ with the blood of Native Americans and whites.

User Detail :  

Name : AmberW, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Age : 23, City : Greenville, State : NC Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.