Miracles and messages from God

Home Forums Religion Miracles and messages from God

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Daniel

Why is it so easy for most people to believe that miracles and visions from God took place and were valid 2,000 years ago, but not today? Millions of people around the world base their lives and the lives of others on books written by men, supposedly dictated by God, but If I had a vision from God or claimed God spoke to me today, I’d be considered a fanatic or just plain crazy. Why?

User Detail :  

Name : Daniel, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Deist, Age : 34, City : Phoenix, State : AZ Country : United States, Occupation : Sales, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

John

I think you need to make a distinction between God ‘speaking to you’ and miracles. Many people feel that God speaks to them, not in a day-to-day, ‘well, God told me it was going to rain today’ way, but in a deeply profound, personal sense. Some people (priests, nuns, missionaries, etc.) say God ‘called’ them to a profession. I don’t think these people are crazy.

Miracles are another subject, though. As a Protestant Christian, I feel that God finished his miracle-making after the death and resurrection of Christ. Jesus presented us with the way to live our lives, and heaven is now open for us sinners. I tend to be extremely skeptical of supposed miraculous events happening today because often it’s a way for someone to cash in on desperate people’s beliefs.

User Detail :  

Name : John, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 22, City : Springville, State : NY Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Dave C.

Who said it was ‘easy’ for anyone to believe in those miracles 2,000 years ago? We have had 2,000 years to decide whether they were crazy or whether their experiences were valid. If you spoke to God, you might spend the rest of your life spreading His word and then wait for scholars to write about it hundreds of years after your death (possibly by crucifixion). I’m going to mangle a phrase that Carl Sagan once said: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary investigation.

User Detail :  

Name : Dave C., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 39, City : Toronto, Ontario, State : NA Country : Canada, Education level : Technical School, Social class : Middle class, 

Z24346
    Participant

First, people do have visions/prophecies today, and they are accepted by others when God speaks to them. It says in 1 Corinthians 14:1 ‘Follow the way of love and eagerly desire spiritual gifts, especially the gift of prophecy’. Christians are also told not to treat prophecies with contempt, and to ‘Test everything. Hold on to the good. Avoid every kind of evil.’ (1 Thessalonians 5:20-21)

Second, Jesus wasn’t exactly accepted when he spoke the word of God. Hence his execution. He was only widely accepted when he rose from the dead – see the book of Acts for how the situation turned from 11hopeless men to thousands upon thousands being converted across the world.

User Detail :  

Name : Z24346, Gender : M, Religion : Christian, Age : 20, City : na, State : NA Country : United Kingdom, Occupation : Student, 

JessTsab

Hi, just to let you know, I too feel like I have been given a gift from God. Maybe a few. The few instances that I have actually talked about these things, people have chuckled, rolled eyes, etc. But it doesnt matter! Something Ive learned–if you feel God is speaking to you, regardless the message, you need to express it. Tell everyone. Do you remember Noah? God told him to let everyone know (whether he straight up said ‘Noah, go tell the folks’ or Noah just felt a great need to tell–we will never know til we get to heaven) But something I can say, if you feel like you are having a revelation or whatnot let everyone know. People may chuckle or roll their eyes. Noah, for instance just did as he was guided. It had never even rained before, people laughed something fierce, Im sure. But who died and who lived? Tell everyone, dear friend. God has given you a gift. USE IT!

User Detail :  

Name : JessTsab, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 20, City : Norfolk, State : VA Country : United States, Occupation : Military Police, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Cliff

preforms miracles everyday. It is written in the bible a true church of God will see healings and miracles, if you are not seeing them in your church try another as they are occuring. I did not believe in them to I had a GF dying of liver cancer, I took her to a miracle service as a last resort, she was healed their and I felt so bad over not believing in them I began taking others to healing services and the more I took the more I saw and continue to see. If you believe in God why wouldn’t you also believe in miracles as their is nothing God can not do.

User Detail :  

Name : Cliff, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 35, City : na, State : PA Country : United States, Occupation : self emplyed, Education level : Technical School, Social class : Middle class, 

J21470
    Participant

Those who have truly received God’s message spread their enlightenment in discreet ways, more often than not. Often, it is how we live our lives that indicates how we are receiving God’s message. God doesn’t simply phone us and instruct us exactly on what we must do and say. Jesus is different because, assuming you subscribe to the religion, Jesus IS God. The Father did speak directly to and through Jesus. However, that did not make believing Him any easier. Just ask Pilate.

User Detail :  

Name : J21470, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 14, City : Jacksonville, State : FL Country : United States, 

Exton
    Participant

I personally look at it the other way around – I see no unexplainable events, or supernatural occurances in my present life, hence, i question the validity of miracles 2000 years ago. I conclude that they are misrepresented in the only text on the matter – the bible. And my thoughts on religious individuals questioning modern miracles are this: their faith is based on 2000 year old accounts of miracles, thus, it doesn’t occur to them to question said miracles. On the other hand, in these times there are alot of investigative tools available, and the art of skepticism is well developed, and so many things that once would have been miracles are now known to be explainable, natural (or fabricated) occurences.

User Detail :  

Name : Exton, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : nontheist, Age : 18, City : Medway, State : MA Country : United States, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Kelly
    Participant

Gods work did take place thousands of years ago but his visions and miricles are still happening today. He has talked to me and shown me the way many times in my everyday life. One personal experience happened around 15 years ago when my grandfather was diagnosed with cancer. He had a 85-90 precent chance of dieing. He came through it and is still here 15 years later. I would honestly call that a miracle the cancer is gone and he is healed. Today’s society tries to rationalize everything that happens in todays world. People don’t have enough faith today.

User Detail :  

Name : Kelly, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Lutheran, Age : 19, City : Beulah, State : ND Country : United States, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.