Mexicans buying beer every Sunday?

Home Forums Race/Ethnicity Mexicans buying beer every Sunday?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

C19321
    Participant

Why is it that Mexicans at grocery stores or mini marts or gas stations seem to always be buying huge packs of beer (like 32 packs) on Sunday afternoons? Does it have to do with relaxing after a hard week?

User Detail :  

Name : C19321, City : Central, State : CA Country : United States, 

Sherry27984
    Participant

I spent 22 years in a California city with a large Mexican population (70 percent). I also worked as a checkout clerk at stores patronized by mostly Mexicans. They’re hard-working and often do not fit the lazy stereotypes that are often attached to them. Sunday is the only day that many Mexicans receive off from work. They’ll often chill out, drink beer and spend time with the family. Huge packs of beer are purchased because larger packs tend to be priced economically. Also, more beer is needed since the number of extended family members may be enormous.

User Detail :  

Name : Sherry27984, Gender : Female, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Age : 24, City : Bakersfield, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Homeowner, Education level : Technical School, Social class : Middle class, 

Ron-S29628
    Participant

Hello C. You know who I think you are? I think you’re the same guy who asked the road rage question about white guys. And, I think you asked about white people ‘trotting’ through the crosswalk. Sure, that’s you isn’t it? I answered both of your other questions, and now I will answer this one. I have also noticed that Mexicans drink a whole bunch of beer on Sunday. I really don’t know why they pick Sunday to have so much fun. I think that part of it has to do with relaxing after a hard week, just like you think it does. Mexicans are some of the hardest workers I have ever known. Personally, I have always preferred to get drunk on Saturday. That way I could rest up on Sunday and be fresh and ready to go to work on Monday. I have worked with a ton of Mexican guys in my life and it has always amazed me how they can get so drunk on Sunday night and then get up at daylight on Monday morning and still pick twice as many peaches as I did. I am totally baffled by this and I hope somebody else writes in and gives us their view.

User Detail :  

Name : Ron-S29628, Gender : Male, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Religion : Christian, Age : 60, City : Stockton, State : CA Country : United States, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Kyle Moore
    Participant

I have had quite an impressive amount of experience withe Mexicans and I know exactly what you are talking about. Mexicans love to have fiestas with all their ‘cuates’, especially the immigrants who live in the United States. Allow me to explain a common circumstance: They are here and their family is there. They have no one to go home to except for the other people that live in their trailer/apartment building and they want to get their fiesta on. What do they do? Exactly like you said; go to the mini mart and everyone brings beer or a dish, they have a barbecue, talk, and party the night away.

User Detail :  

Name : Kyle Moore, Gender : Male, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 15, City : Spring, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : Busboy, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Upper middle class, 

If you think it’s only a Mexican thing you should see the collection of Brits, Aussies and Kiwis I associate with on Sundays.

User Detail :  

Name : Adrian Petyt, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 36, City : Hong Kong, State : NA Country : China, Occupation : Drama/Writing teacher, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Erica
    Participant

Where I am from we are close to a small village which is the nursery capital of the South. Many many many migrant workers live somewhere between here and there. They generally work from sun up to sun down and only have time to come to town on Saturday night and Sundays, however most have worked on Saturday and are ready to go home to their families. Sundays are usually their only day off and they come to town to eat at a restaurant, buy groceries and beer, and pay their cell phone bills.

User Detail :  

Name : Erica, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 25, City : Alexandria, State : LA Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Michael-J
    Participant

I think it’s because many Mexicans work on Saturdays, and Sunday is definitely a ‘family’ day for Mexicans. Many go to parks, BBQ’s, and the beach.

User Detail :  

Name : Michael-J, Gender : Male, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Age : 23, City : Los Angeles, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : road worker, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

KB

Is that the only day you go to these places? I’ve seen men, not just Mexicans, buying beer every day of the week. As with any race, it’s not always just about relaxing but maybe it’s about socializing as well.

User Detail :  

Name : KB, Gender : Female, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Atheist, Age : 29, City : Bisbee, State : AZ Country : United States, Occupation : homemaker, Education level : Technical School, Social class : Middle class, 

J
    Participant

It’s a long-time tradition related to soccer. On Sunday’s, there’s soccer game at noon and men get together to watch the game and have beer and food.

User Detail :  

Name : J, City : Boston, State : MA Country : United States, 

Daryl28692
    Participant

Its probably because the lines are too long with Americans the other days of the week – Sundays all they have to chill out and buy it finally!

User Detail :  

Name : Daryl28692, Gender : Male, Race : Asian, Age : 30, City : Fort Worth, State : TX Country : United States, 
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.