Men and directions

Home Forums Gender Men and directions

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Shelby

Why do men always feel funny asking for directions? Do they feel it challenges their masculinity? Are they trying to impress women? I am not impressed when a man shows up late because he gets lost. Why do they do this?

User Detail :  

Name : Shelby, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, City : Colorado Springs, State : CO Country : United States, Occupation : Student, 

Steve27697
    Participant

What about the stereotype that most women are bad at finding their way even when they do have directions? Men and directions is a stereotype. It gets a lot of laughs, kind of the male equivalent of dumb blond jokes. Research indicates that, in general, male brains are hard-wired to view the world in a way that is spacially different from females. I don’t know if that is true, but personally I am not uncomfortable in being lost. I enjoy trying to figure out how to get back unlost, and it gives me a sense of accomplishment. I feel the same whether I am with someone or alone. Getting directions ruins the fun. Besides, asked-for directions are usually crap and get you further lost.

User Detail :  

Name : Steve27697, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 38, City : Houston, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : Engineer, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 

Joe29379
    Participant

I think it boils down to men feeling the need to be independent, self-reliant, strong, capable, etc. I think you can point to society for that, or just human genetics. ‘Boys don’t cry,’ that kind of thing. Some people don’t realize that boys and men have this pressure to be strong and not complain or need help. Asking for directions shows weakness, which is a big deal for a lot of men. And furthermore, it seems many women admire those qualities in men (strength and control) so it ties into that – not necessarily to impress a woman by not asking directions, but a general sense of needing to be capable and in control.

User Detail :  

Name : Joe29379, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 32, City : San Francisco, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Graphic Artist, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Augustine23536
    Participant

Maybe the males who don’t ask directions have a funny brain like I do. It is virtually impossible for me to remember something like ‘go to the fourth stop light on Main Street, then turn right until you see the Sunoco station, drive till you see the oak trees…’. The only way I can remember it is if I write it down verbatim. A landmark is nice, but whoever heard of counting stop lights? I couldn’t tell you how many lights there are between here and Kroger’s if my life depended on it! It’s not important to me and I never paid attention to it. I do best with maps. Combining maps and landmarks allows me to navigate almost infallibly. But remembering a narrative of how to get there? No way! That’s the way most people do it, but I can’t. The difference in people…

User Detail :  

Name : Augustine23536, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 39, City : Columbia, State : SC Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.