Massage therapists getting dissed

Home Forums Occupation Massage therapists getting dissed

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Mary28560
    Participant

Why is it that massage therapists aren’t recognized as having any value in the health industry? I have fixed shoulders, necks and backs on numerous occasions but I get snubbed by chiropractors, physical therapists and occupational therapists when I inquire about possible employment opportunities.

User Detail :  

Name : Mary28560, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 25, City : Springfield, State : VT Country : United States, Occupation : massage therapist, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Sara-B
    Participant

A lot of people don’t respect massage therapists, not just those from the healthcare industry. I was a massage therapist several years ago until my hands gave out. The majority of people I massaged were rude, snobby jerks who didn’t tip well and wouldn’t care if they heard my fingers breaking as long as they got their ultra deep massage. As for healthcare professional,s to them you are competition. It’s as simple as that.

User Detail :  

Name : Sara-B, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Age : 37, City : Atlanta, State : GA Country : United States, Education level : Technical School, Social class : Middle class, 

Ann L. Lowenstein
    Participant

Bear in mind that ‘massage’ still connotes ‘prostitution’ in the minds of a lot of people, so these OT/PT types and chiropractors probably still buy into the stereotype, in addition to being the sorts of ‘contamination snobs’ who themselves are so desperate for respect from anyone with an ‘M.D.’ after their name that they feel a need to find someone to crap on the way M.D.’s crap on them. That said, keep looking, and try among the younger chiropractors. My chiropractor finished his training and went into practice about 7 years ago, and he would dearly love to find a licensed massage therapist to come work with him.

User Detail :  

Name : Ann L. Lowenstein, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Animist, Age : 37, City : K.C., State : MO Country : United States, Occupation : Administrative Assistant, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

JoeB

Well, as a PT major a lot of people asked me if I would be getting into massage therapy. I wanted no part of it because of the lingering stereotype of prostitution. Actually, where I live there is a massage parlor where you can pay extra money to have the therapists massage you topless, all nude, etc. Perhaps that is why they do not have the respect of a PT/OT. Frankly, I don’t really care. If I want a massage I will go get one and couldn’t care less what people think of that.

User Detail :  

Name : JoeB, Gender : Male, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Baptist, Age : 23, City : Scranton, State : PA Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.