Long nails on black women

Home Forums Race/Ethnicity Long nails on black women

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Julie

Why do black ladies always get fake nails put on that are so long they can’t even pick change up off the counter or type on a register. They seem ridiculous, and look awful.

User Detail :  

Name : Julie, Gender : F, Age : 27, City : Akron, State : OH Country : United States, 

Rick27409
    Participant

You must not know many black women if you think they all do that. In my experience it’s more of a class thing than a race thing. Lower class women of all races seem to do this, but not all of them by any means.

User Detail :  

Name : Rick27409, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, City : Springfield, State : OH Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

David28791
    Participant

I’m a Black male and I know ‘exactly’ what you’re saying! I have no idea why they do that shit! It’s disgusting! And nasty! The real reason: ‘Cause they’re trifling.’ That’s as simple as I can put it!

User Detail :  

Name : David28791, Gender : M, Race : Black/African American, City : Columbia, State : MD Country : United States, 

christelle28795
    Participant

I have seen some white women with the same fake long nails. Do you find them ridiculous too? Have you posted a question about them too? Why do you seem so focused on blacks that you don’t see whites doing the same thing? Are you so bored with your life to notice those kind of things? You keep asking questions not substantiated by any numbers or facts. Maybe you just need to pick up a book to learn new things.

User Detail :  

Name : christelle28795, Gender : F, City : buffalo, State : NY Country : United States, 

Sherry28799
    Participant

The vast majority of black women do not wear long, false fingernails. Since I am a nurse, I know all about the health problems that may arise as the result of wearing these nails. Therefore, I never wear them!

User Detail :  

Name : Sherry28799, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Age : 26, City : Fort Worth, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : Nurse, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Laurie
    Participant

First of all, not all black women have long nails. Second, I believe it’s for at least two other reasons: (1) The African heritage of valueing beauty, flair and visual presentation – unlike the WASP values, which value low-key under-presentation. (2) African Americans had to wear such junky clothes when they were enslaved or very poor that they value looking nicely dressed.

User Detail :  

Name : Laurie, Gender : Female, Age : 56, City : Boston, State : MA Country : United States, 

Alma

I work in a military hospital and we have had to literally fire some nurses because they refuse to either cut their nails or refrain from going to the ‘fake nail’ shops to have long, deorated nails attached to their hands. From what I have seen, it is not a race issue, but a self-confidence issue that many women view as a way to attract men. For reference, health care issues absolutely forbid the wearing of long nails, artificial or otherwise, if you are involved in healthcare; yet we have had to become very aggressive toward this issue…go figure.

User Detail :  

Name : Alma, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 54, City : Kempner, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : human resources, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Nathan20143
    Participant

I am an African American 20 year old female student, and I get my nails done faithfully every two weeks. I know women of all races who get their nails done long. Most women get long nails because in order to get certain designs put on, the nail has to be a certain length. Your next question or suggestion would probably be well don’t get a design. Well I like to be different. I don’t really like things simple. I like being able to choose different designs, and people look forward to seeing what’s going to be on my nails next and what colors. FYI, I can still do everything you can do. For someone who is used to getting their nails done, it’s not hard to do things such as pick up change, or type, or whatever the case may be.

User Detail :  

Name : Nathan20143, Gender : M, Race : Black/African American, Age : 40, City : Seattle, State : WA Country : United States, Occupation : Tech, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Dave28909
    Participant

It’s called ghetto fabulous, they care avout two things: hair and nails

User Detail :  

Name : Dave28909, Gender : Male, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 31, City : New York, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : stockbroker, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Hi Ianice! I just love long artificial nails on women, but it is very rare here in Sweden. Would be great hearing from you! Daniel

User Detail :  

Name : DanielAnderson, City : Stockholm, State : NA Country : Sweden, 

Brittany
    Participant

You don’t know what triflint is until you look in the mirror and realize your very accusations are unfair. How is having long nails disgusting? Hopefully they are nicely done and look very artisitc…would you rather them be short, stubby and have dirt in them and see all the imperfections in them? Which is more disgusting

User Detail :  

Name : Brittany, Gender : Female, Race : Black/African American, Age : 20, City : Washington, State : DC Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, 

AmyM

“always” is a terrible word to use in this context. Anyway, I have noticed the phenomenon, and it seems to be pretty much limited to poor and working-class women. (I’m not talking about regular long nails or getting one’s nails done, but nails so long that they are obtrusive) I do find it gross when a cashier uses her nails to enter a purchase. I have many colleagues who are black, and they generally prefer to project an image of professional competence and caring rather than drop-dead sexiness. Women who are disadvantaged economically or educationally tend to play up what they can, which often means drawing attention to themselves as femme fatales. Be Kind, for everyone is fighting a great battle." -Plato

User Detail :  

Name : AmyM, Gender : Female, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 42, City : Philadelphia, State : PA Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

CWayneC.

I wonder this, too. I’ve never (well, not yet) seen the really long fake nails that curve under on a white girl. But I’m sure some do it….fashion crime is not exclusive to any one people. But I wonder.

User Detail :  

Name : CWayneC., City : Parsippany, State : NJ Country : United States, 
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.