Lesbians and make-up

Home Forums Sexual Orientation Lesbians and make-up

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Miisa
    Participant

Why don’t most lesbians wear make-up?

User Detail :  

Name : Miisa, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 22, City : Helsinki, State : NA Country : Finland, 

Melissa

Many lesbians wear makeup. I, a moderately feminine lesbian, never wear makeup. I hate it! Mascara runs, lipstick smears, foundation makes me sweat. Some lesbians I know wear makeup daily and won’t leave the house without it. We are pretty much like most women in the world.

User Detail :  

Name : Melissa, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Lesbian, Race : White/Caucasian, City : Cincinnati, State : OH Country : United States, Occupation : health educator, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Christine

I wear makeup every day and won’t leave the house without it. My girlfriend, on the other hand, refuses to wear any. It’s a personal preference among women.

User Detail :  

Name : Christine, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Lesbian, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 22, City : Porterville, State : CA Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Laura W.

Lots of lesbians wear makeup. I would hazard a guess that a larger percentage of straight and bisexual women wear makeup, as opposed to lesbians. I would guess that this is because makeup was historically – and probably still is to a certain extent – considered important for the benefit of men. Women are raised to be much more forgiving of a mate’s level of physical attractiveness than men (I’ve often seen men who are with women who would be considered much more attractive than them by mainstream standards, yet the opposite is not nearly as often the case). Therefore, women who are not interested in attracting men are probably much less likely to feel a need to fit the stereotypical ideal of beauty. I prefer women without makeup. I would much rather look at an interesting face that tells me a story about that person, than a made-up Barbie doll face that looks just like all the others.

User Detail :  

Name : Laura W., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Lesbian, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Jewish, Age : 40, City : Los Angeles, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Systems Analyst, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Jane C.

I don’t know why other lesbians do or don’t wear make-up: if boyfriends/husbands are a factor in straight women wearing make-up, maybe that’s why lesbians tend not to – we don’t have to unless we want to. Can I ask the straight women a question – do you ever feel pressured by your boyfriend/husband to wear make-up when you don’t really want to? I don’t because I don’t like the feel on my skin. I generally don’t like visible make-up on a woman, especially not lipstick, because I like to kiss and I don’t like the feel of make-up on my mouth!

User Detail :  

Name : Jane C., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Lesbian, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 34, City : Edinburgh, State : NA Country : United Kingdom, Occupation : Writer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Sara28324
    Participant

Be careful of your generalizations. I know lots of straight women who don’t wear makeup and equal numbers of lesbian women who do. There is no correlation between sexual orientation and makeup.

User Detail :  

Name : Sara28324, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 34, City : San Diego, State : CA Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Upper class, 

Kerry

I am a moderately feminine woman; I wear make-up only on special occasions. My husband’s girlfriend, who is very very straight, and somewhat feminine, in that she wears skirts, rarely wears make up at all. My girlfriend, a fairly feminine bisexual woman, almost always wears makeup.

User Detail :  

Name : Kerry, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Lesbian, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Wiccan, Age : 32, City : Ventura, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Stagehand, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Why would you assume that lesbians don’t wear makeup? Maybe it’s because you have already defined in your head what a lesbian looks like. You probably see many lesbians everyday that have long hair and wear makeup but you don’t identify them as gay so you overlook them. Never assume anything about anyone because you can’t tell by looking.

User Detail :  

Name : Barbara Burton, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Lesbian, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 34, City : Atlanta, State : GA Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Tina M.

I am a lesbian and I wear make-up. As with most women of any sexual orientation, it depends on my mood or what I have planned for the day or night as to whether or not I wear make-up and how much I wear.

User Detail :  

Name : Tina M., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Lesbian, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 32, City : Tulsa, State : OK Country : United States, Occupation : Business Owner, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.