Latinas dissing black women

Home Forums Race/Ethnicity Latinas dissing black women

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Alea29008
    Participant

For the past few years I’ve faced extreme racism from Latinas. I know of many other black women who have as well. From bumping into me and hissing ‘morena’ (which I assume means the N-word) to approaching me with an attitude of superiority. I’ve even had some brag to me that they had a black boyfriend and that black men preferred them. What’s up with that? I’m not a mean person and am not stuck up, either. Why do so many Latinas give off such an attitude to black women?

User Detail :  

Name : Alea29008, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Caribbean-American/Black, Religion : Christian, Age : 21, City : New York, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : 2 Years of College, 

C-Kohrman
    Participant

I lived in Guatemala for about two years. I never ran into an exception for your case. It seems that every Guatemalan had some horrible image in their mind of what a black person is. My guess is that there is a sort of trickle-down stereotyping going on. Just as U.S. fashion, music, etc. seem almost a decade behind, people in Guatemala are in the process of digesting what we in the U.S. have already swallowed down. So it may be that Hispanic parents are still spoon feeding their children that ‘black’ is bad. This is definitely not the case for all, but I have seen a lot of friction in what you bring up.

User Detail :  

Name : C-Kohrman, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Mormon, Age : 23, City : Elkins Park, State : PA Country : United States, Occupation : artist, painter, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

ACC24030
    Participant

Morena just means brown-skinned. I’ve never heard it used as a slur. Just the opposite, morenita (little brown ones) is a term of affection for children. I know there’s hostility between blacks and Latinos, but in my experience it’s always the older generations that were the most hostile. The popularity of hip-hop broke down a lot of barriers between the two. My guess would be it’s something of a local problem, because I’ve never heard of anything like this when I’ve lived in the Midwest or Southwest.

User Detail :  

Name : ACC24030, Gender : M, Race : Mexican and American Indian, City : W Lafayette, State : IN Country : United States, 

Dan31637
    Participant

I am surprised to hear this, because you are from New York. It is my understanding that Puerto Ricans and African Americans have always gotten along, though things might be different now. Also, most East Coast Latinos have black roots, particularly Puerto Ricans and Dominicans. However, on the West Coast, there has been strife between blacks and Latinos. On the West Coast we’re mostly of Mexican and Central American origin (primarily Native American and Spanish lineage) and had virtually no contact with black people before we came here. Yet back on ‘The Island,’ a third of the people are pretty much fully black. I have seen Latinas and black girls get catty with each other and sling racial insults (and even fists), and I have heard Latino gang members boasting about beating up black people in jail, but it’s not altogether common, as both groups don’t come into much contact with each other around here except for in South L.A. or certain parts of West L.A., and for the most part there is at least some respect between the majority of individuals of both groups.

I had always thought it would be much less of a problem on the East Coast because of the black roots of the Latinos there and the proximity everyone has to one another. FYI ‘Morena’ means dark skinned in Mexican Spanish. I think it may mean something different with other nationalities. Usually it’s more of a compliment than an insult and is commonly used in folklore to describe Indian maidens, though the ones who call you that may be calling you their equivalent of ‘darkie.’ The Mexican word for ‘nigger’ is ‘miate,’ which is literally a black bug found in central Mexico.

User Detail :  

Name : Dan31637, Gender : M, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Religion : Pentecostal, Age : 22, City : Los Angeles area, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Marcus R.

Actually, the term morena means dark-skinned. Such an ignorant statement is poison to my ears. If anything, that woman who gave you an ‘attitude of superiority’ probably has an attitude toward everybody. My sister, you are overreacting and should embrace our Latin sisters, for we are inhabitants in God’s earth.

User Detail :  

Name : Marcus R., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : African Methodist Episcopalian, Age : 18, City : South Pasadena, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : High School Diploma, 

I’m very surprised to hear this. I am Mexican and have several black friends. To me, because I live on the border of a racist community and diverse neighborhood, I’ve always noticed a more immediate bond between Latinas and black females. This is because I am more black than white, because I am a person of color, and therefore we have to stick together. I guess I’ve just always taken that for granted, so I can’t really see where you’re coming from.

User Detail :  

Name : Anna, 18, Mexican female, Gender : F, Race : Mexican, Age : 18, City : Chicago, State : IL Country : United States, Occupation : College Student, 

LaTangela22961
    Participant

Where I live there’s not much tension between blacks and Latinas. Here, at my school, we’re really close. It’s like the ‘I got your back’ thing. Maybe it’s because I’m Puerto Rican and Puerto ricans have African roots. Then again, the person’s probably just ignorant. Don’t mind people like that.

User Detail :  

Name : LaTangela22961, Gender : F, City : Baltimore, State : MD Country : United States, 

Raquel

Alea, I am really surprised to hear that because I have never seen that happen here where I live. I am actually surprised to hear that it happened in New York. All I can say is that you ran into examples of ignorant people. I know for me I could never just mistreat a total stranger for no reason at all. That is just wrong!

User Detail :  

Name : Raquel, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Age : 31, City : Gary, State : IN Country : United States, Occupation : Secretary/ College Student, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.