Jewish but potentially Christian

Home Forums Religion Jewish but potentially Christian

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Kate26604
    Participant

As a 21-year-old female who was born Jewish but never practiced, I am beginning to explore other religions in hopes of finding one that suits my beliefs. I am considering Catholicism. Do Christians see converts as ‘true and equal Christians,’ or will I never be truly accepted as one of them?
    Original Code RE150. Click here to see responses from the original archives. Click “to respond” below to reply.

User Detail :  

Name : Kate26604, Gender : F, Age : 21, City : Ithaca, State : NY Country : United States, 

Sara28355
    Participant

I think people in most denominations would welcome you and consider you an equal. At least, if they believe in the Bible, they should. I would also suggest that you investigate the beliefs of Catholicism as opposed to Protestants and specifically find out what led Martin Luther and others to disagree with the Roman Catholic church. There are some very important issues of doctrine and belief to consider: for instance, do you base your belief on the Bible alone (sola scriptura) or on the Bible and its interpretation by the different Popes (ex cathedra)?

User Detail :  

Name : Sara28355, Gender : F, Religion : Christian, City : Oakland, State : CA Country : United States, 

Chris H.

In my family we always say “There’s nothing like a convert” because they never miss Mass, even on obscure holy days. In other words, they usually end up being better practicing Catholics than those of us born into it. After all, they made a choice, and were not just born into it. As to not being able to stay for the Eucharist, I’m with you. It seems rude to made the catachists leave, but as a priest told me, it is like having a guest for dinner and not letting them eat. My attitude is that if I invite you for dinner and you are allergic to say, bread and wine, then I’m not going to make you sit outside until the rest of us finish. Search around to find a priest who will accommodate you. It can be done.

User Detail :  

Name : Chris H., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 44, City : kokomo, State : IN Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Raymond P.

I don’t see why you wouldn’t be accepted; Christianity is full of converts. It’s one of our hallmarks. Christ told us, in fact, to go out into the world and spread the Good News (that God loves us). You may want to consider the Episcopal Church, which is a denomination that values thought and reason. We worship with a great deal of ritual, which seems appropriate to us, but is certainly not the only way to worship God – it’s just what we like. And yes, you would be welcomed.

User Detail :  

Name : Raymond P., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Episcopalian, Age : 50, City : Victorville, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Historian, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Debbi

Jesus was fully Jewish and Christian. In fact, all of the first Christians were Messianic Jews: Both Jewish and Christian. So when you join the church, you will be more complete than anyone in your church. Good luck.

User Detail :  

Name : Debbi, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 32, City : San Antonio, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : Sales/ministry, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Larry-H22949
    Participant

I am on the other side of where you are now. I was raised Christian, but converted to Judaism out of theological belief. Before you become a Christian, you should decide if you realy believe that Jesus is the physical incarnation of God. This is the central belief of Christianity, and is totally outside of the Jewish view of God. Find out what Judaism is about before you throw it away. The 614th Mitzvot is that we do not give Hitler any posthumous victories. Please study before you abandon Judaism.

User Detail :  

Name : Larry-H22949, Gender : M, Religion : Jewish, City : Huntington Beach, State : CA Country : United States, 
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.