Japanese culture and my new student

Home Forums Race/Ethnicity Japanese culture and my new student

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Amy

I am a school teacher and will be teaching a little boy from Japan this fall. I am trying to educate myself on the Japanese culture in order to give this child the best education I can. I am looking for information about religious beliefs, ceremonies, holidays, gestures, taboos, etc. practiced by the Japanese. I want this child to have a wonderful, positive, educational experience next year. I would appreciate any valuable information.

User Detail :  

Name : Amy, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, City : Jacksonville, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : teacher, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Jennifer30889
    Participant

Now, I don’t know much, but what I picked up has been from relatives who have lived in Japan and from a Japanese exchange student. The major taboo that I can think of that may even come into play for this child is this: it is considered exceedingly rude to blow one’s nose in public in Japan. Bowing is common. Subordinates bow deeper. As a teacher, I believe that a nodding of the head will suffice, but don’t quote me on that. For others…there is an excellent book out called ‘Learning to Bow’ that a young teacher wrote a few years ago (I forget the author, sorry) that may answer some questions. I hope this helps.

User Detail :  

Name : Jennifer30889, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Lesbian, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 20, City : Tallahassee, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : cook, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.