Is “white” OK?

Home Forums Race/Ethnicity Is “white” OK?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Stephen S.

I am an American of Irish and German heritage, and I find the term ‘Anglo’ – as applied to all European Americans – inaccurate and offensive. I prefer ‘white.’ Do other white Americans feel this way?

User Detail :  

Name : Stephen S., Age : 32, City : San Antonio, State : TX Country : United States, 

ACC24034
    Participant

It’s a cultural label rather than one based on the phony, divisive, and exclusionary one of ‘race’. (And yes, I don’t care for other ‘racial’ labels either. I prefer we all always use cultural ones.) Whether you or many other Anglos want to admit it or not, the cultures of your individual ethnicities are not being passed on from generation to generation most of the time. How many German-Americans speak German, even one word of it? None that I ever met. How many know anything about German culture except brautwurst and beer on Wurstfest? Whether you want to admit it or not, most Anglos have completely assimilated to the Anglo-American culture with no qualms. Their old ethnicities mean little except how they spell their last name. Now if you do know more, that’s admirable. But in that case, why not just call yourself what you are, Irish-German rather than ‘white’? Because unless you’re an albino, your skin is not ‘white’.

User Detail :  

Name : ACC24034, Race : Mexican and American Indian, City : W Lafayette, State : IN Country : United States, 

Lucy22420
    Participant

No matter which term a person uses to describe the race or ethnicity of another person somebody somewhere will get offended. I say ‘Get over it.’ So technically speaking the term Anglo does not refer to Germans, but big deal. We all know that when someone says ‘Anglo’ they mean white folks. And some white people don’t like the term ‘white’. They would rather be called European Americans or Caucasian. White, Anglo, black, African American, people of color, colored people, Mexican, Mexican American, Hispanic, Chicano, Latino, Asian, Oriental, Amerasian… The list goes on and on and I bet I can find someone who takes offense to each of those terms. All this discussion and taking offense to labels does nothing to address any issues we may have involving race or ethnicity. All it does is make people afraid to talk about the issues or even refer to another person’s ethnicity because they are afraid of offending someone. So let’s stop getting offended by things that make no material difference in our lives and move on.

User Detail :  

Name : Lucy22420, Gender : F, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Age : 26, City : San Jose, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Engineer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Dan31647
    Participant

The term ‘Anglo’ is used by Latinos to refer to whites. I guess it’s just a generic term, much like ‘Latino’ or ‘Hispanic’ is. When someone calls someone a Latino it doesn’t indicate whether or not they are from Argentina, Cuba, Mexico, Guatemala, etc. etc. In fact, ‘Hispanic’ means ‘Spanish’ and Latino is probably more accurate in describing someone who speaks a Romance language. But then again… ‘white’ is pretty generic as well.

User Detail :  

Name : Dan31647, Gender : M, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Religion : Pentecostal, Age : 22, City : L.A., State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Sarah-Jayne28386
    Participant

Why is being called ‘anglo’ offensive? If you want to play that game, I could say that’s just typical anti-British prejudice, because you’re Irish.

User Detail :  

Name : Sarah-Jayne28386, Gender : F, Race : Anglo, Age : 24, City : Melbourne, State : NA Country : Australia, 

Lisa

I am not white. and I hate to be called a color. as if all i am is that.

User Detail :  

Name : Lisa, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 23, City : El Cajon, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : homemaker, Education level : High School Diploma, 

Joe-DP
    Participant

I agree. I am of Italian and Polish descent. The only thing ‘Anglo’ about me is my language. Although I am no PC zealot and try not to get offended, I do find it disturbing to be referred to as an ‘Anglo.’ Luckily, that is not a word used very commonly in the greater NY metropolitan area, even by the Hispanic population.

User Detail :  

Name : Joe-DP, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 32, City : Basking Ridge, State : NJ Country : United States, Occupation : Physician, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

I feel that way. I don’t mind being called ‘Anglo’; but only because I am, in fact, English. But it annoys me when people refer to non-English as ‘Anglo’, or confuse ‘British’ with ‘English’, etc. It’s a simple matter of accuracy. Maybe it’s OK when ‘Anglo’ is clearly referring to language; even then, it seems like wrong usage.

User Detail :  

Name : Ashley Yakeley, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Mostly Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Pagan, Age : 30, City : Seattle, State : WA Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Dan27165
    Participant

If Americans have a habit of calling all Euro/Americans ‘Angl-‘ then it is just plain wrong. ‘Anglo-‘ as a prefix means English… and it’s not surprising the Scots, Welsh and Irish are unhappy with this tag being given to them. We may all inhabit the same island, but that doesn’t make us the same race (far from it… and the unpopularity of the idea of a ‘British race’ was seen in the recent British elections). I would no more call an Irishman an ‘Anglo-American’ than I’d call the present President an ‘African American’ (!!)

User Detail :  

Name : Dan27165, City : London, State : NA Country : United Kingdom, 

Andres
    Participant

The term Anglo, as applied to white Americans, Canadians, or Australians simply means you are a native English speaker. Just as the terms Latino and Hispanic mean a Mexican, Cuban, Dominican, Chilean, etc. is a Spanish speaker. Not all Latin Americans are the same race, but are still Hispanic, and not all white Americans have English heritage, but are Anglos. Get it?

User Detail :  

Name : Andres, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 25, City : Chambersburg, State : PA Country : United States, 
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.